Lucas KSA1 magneto

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Lucas KSA1 magneto

Post by clive »

Working on my 1928 K12 AJS. To my amazement, as it has stood unused for at least 45 years the mag is producing a really good spark. But i cannot track down what is missing or how the bottom end of the advance retard cable should be. Anyone know? Many thanks
20190813_150928_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Re: Lucas KSA1 magneto

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I found this Clive if it helps. It's on a magdyno but looks like your photo. See Page 12 here: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... UTMAGS.pdf
AR cable fitting mag.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If that's all you have Clive, Neville's picture shows the bit that you have missing. At the moment I cannot undo the slotted screw like in your picture. Difficult to get to, also my 28 is a K9 and has a different type of carb, note my cable goes in at the rear.
SDC15317.JPG
But if I take off the bit that the cable adjuster screws into and the slotted screw holds on, I will only then see the same as you can see. Perhaps a nipple just slots in like the later mag. You then screw the bit on, fit the lever nipple and adjust free play.
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Clive,
There are also nice pictures here: http://www.theodole.nl/LUCAS%20MAGNETO.html though the KSA1 there differs from yours.
Albert
clive

Post by clive »

Many thanks guys. I know what I am looking for now. Got a feeling it may be a case of making something like it. I have had the K12 since 1993 when I bought it, aged 42, as a possible retirement project. Been retired 9 years and have not touched it until a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly I have managed to sort a whole raft of problems that were putting me off. (I have built 2 bikes before this one since retiring!).
The petrol tank proved interesting. The oil tank was good but the petrol side leaked badly. Digging around with a knife revealed that the apparently relatively smooth finish was in fact filler over a number of rust holes. I accept that some may have developed over the years that I have had it awaiting work, but the phillips screw into a hole under all that filler was not a good move!
20190804_104453_resized.jpg
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I just spotted this. Any use for reference? :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-AJS- ... SwqyJdUD2o
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ask the prewar e groups members for the bit Clive. I could activate the website to send an invite to join, to your email address. That will save you going through the application approval procedure. You will not get your mails deleted for parts wanted or for sale or swap. But I may ban you if grab bits I want. The mag on your bike is the most common that was used on the 1920's 350 Wolverhampton AJS. So you may be lucky some one will have the bit on an empty shell mag. The group also have members that may make a small batch if a few others want the part. A lot of tinware for the old AJS was soldered together. On chain cases all parts were soldered together. I have a patch soldered on the bottom of my K9 tank. The tank may have had a hole cut out in the bottom to clean the oil tank part out. Then soldered back in.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Clive, this made me look at the KNR 1 that is fitted to my 1930 R7, photo shows the cap removed, but the cable and the spring which returns the plunger could not be removed with the magneto in place, so I cannot confirm the type of cable end, but it's probably similar to the later ones. Perhaps someone with a spare magneto on the shelf can confirm.
I will post the photo later as it's over 1mb.
Groily

Post by Groily »

There's just a nipple on the end of the cable that engages in a recess in the lower end of the brass plunger, which has a sticky-out tang to engage in the camring. So the cable goes through the adjuster and lid, through a spring which then sits in the middle of the plunger, and the nipple is soldered on the bottom end. Then there is a blanking screw that goes into the cb housing from the underneath to keep the thing watertight or whatever. Same system on loads of the older Lucas ringcam mags, like magdyno MS1/2 etc, MN series, KSA, KN etc.
With the lid & adjuster detached, the whole thing comes out if the camring is disengaged by part-extracting it.
A slightly fiddly 'make' if a brass plunger is needed . . . but probably available from somewhere!
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Can't downsize photo but Groily has explained what is involved.