MAOC?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Cjay59_LAPSED

Re: MAOC?

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Why not have two clubs, AJS & Matchless / Matchless & AJS, you join the one you prefer !!!!!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I guess it's a bit of fun but I couldn't give a proverbial round which way it is.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

MikeM. wrote:The original club names 'AMOC" ie Associated Motorcycle Owners Club, it was changed when Norton, James and Francis Barnet became part of Associated Motorcycles. MikeM
Its was AMC owners club Mike. The reason for change is documented in old AMC OC magazines. There were two proposals for which a vote was taken. I made a note of the proceedings that brought about the change to AJS & MOC quoting proposal's, number of votes cast etc. As what I read was not what I believed, brought the name change into being. The club changed its name in 1963. Perhaps this will be published in Jampot soon. I am spotting a few items of history along my way in scanning and making digital files of all the old Jampot magazines. I am not sure if these files will join those 2005 onwards Jampot magazine files within the club website. I have already done the 1950's to mid 1960's. By the end of August I should have up to the end of the 1970's all scanned to digital files. The magazines are really the only factual info of the clubs history, that we have. Prior to doing the magazines I made spread sheets of all the clubs committee members since the club started. Also all the rallies held and who won all the awards made at all the rallies. I lot of work, but really needs to be done to bring club paper archives ease of access into the 21st century.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Rob Harknett wrote: I have already done the 1950's to mid 1960's. By the end of August I should have up to the end of the 1970's all scanned to digital files.
Thanks for all of this hard work, Rob. I can't wait to see the results. As a non-active, although very active riding, member, it will be fascinating to see the story of the club from its early days.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

That's a mammoth task and one that I don't think will be fully appreciated until people start asking these kind of questions about history. I personall think that. although judgement of the changed conditions and circumstances is always required, a lot can be learnt from history.

It can help avoid making the same mistakes but also show up areas where previous failed ideas can, with the application of modern techniques, be made to work.

Great job.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:Not sure who may have posted this, I wonder if the person was suggesting we should change the club name. That would cost a lot of money. Everything AJS & MOC Ltd would have to change and the old be made redundant. Then start a new company. With no money, property, parts, members......
Its a wind up Rob. Very successful too, by one of the Club Directors! (Me)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

clive wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Not sure who may have posted this, I wonder if the person was suggesting we should change the club name. That would cost a lot of money. Everything AJS & MOC Ltd would have to change and the old be made redundant. Then start a new company. With no money, property, parts, members......
Its a wind up Rob. Very successful too, by one of the Club Directors! (Me
Last edited by G15 Roy on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:
Its a wind up Rob. Very successful too, by one of the Club Directors! (Me)
You sure Clive???? Perhaps the clubs name was a secret, even back in the 1970's. They only put it on the odd back page of the magazine.
22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Factory AJS & Matchless.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

clive wrote:Should it really be the Matchless and AJS Owners Club?
I think your signature line applies in this case Clive 🙂

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: