What I've noticed since I have returned

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

What I've noticed since I have returned

Post by Plugsnpoints »

to the British bike scene late last year I found a little sad. I thoroughly enjoy maintaining/fixing and being frustrated with my 1950s motorbikes. Truly I do. The last British motorcycle I owned before this was a 1959 T110 back in 1984 when I was 20.

It was lot of luck that I won the raffle prize last year! I still love it!

I think it's a bit like the vintage car/steam train etc. scene though. I think now is the time to encourage the younger generation to get involved in our interests. Maybe it's too late? What do you reckon?

I think it'd be sad though if future generations would in future (not too distant either) would only see an AJS/Matchless or many other similar machines behind a rope barrier at a museum.

This is in no way meant to be critical, but since joining this club I have noticed I could be one of the younger members? I'll be 55 on Wednesday, thanks for asking!

I genuinely hope this and many other similar clubs don't fade away within a generation. This is just an observation by me, and not a moan.

Keep healthy and safe.

What do you reckon? Any positive ideas?

Andy
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
spookefoote1956

Re: What I have noticed since I have returned

Post by spookefoote1956 »

You having a bad day Andy?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Backhoe

Post by Backhoe »

Old timer 🤣🤣 I'm 49 on 27th
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'd estimate that of the roughly 25 active/regular Sussex members the ages break down............

Under 50 - none
50 to 60 - two
60 to 70 - Twelve
70 to 80 - Eight
Over 80 - Three

The 60 to 80 yrs old members seem to be quite heavily committed to grandchild and elderly parent care, or having pattern parts fitted to hips, knees and shoulders.
I read that the average age of the VMCC's 14,000 members (bikes and 3 wheeler events up to 1992 manufacture) is 68.

There has been much discussion over the years on attracting younger, say 30 to 45 yrs old members. The main barriers seem to be:

They don't share our nostalgia for 50's and 60's bikes.
Classic bikes are expensive, time-consuming and unreliable vs modern bikes.
Children take first dibs on free time and the household budget.
Many go straight from a Twist 'n Go to a car. (Insured or not ;) )
Many, due to house prices live in flats or with no secure off-road parking or sheds.
Few have any or much mechanical knowledge, experience, ability, tools or interest in fixing things.

Who's grandkids get excited about the Sinclair Spectrum in the attic?

In our section for many years we have made a special effort to attract and encourage younger folk by following up meetings or enquiries with a welcome email with events calendar, arranging to meet up with them informally at events, bike shows or jumbles for a chat over a coffee. We put them on our group email address list so that they receive information and a welcome to club nights, section and general public events. A couple of us have spent time with several in their sheds bringing their granddad's old bike back to life or recovering the reg'n number etc. but they fade away once helped (as do some non members on here looking for/receiving help). I endeavour to post useful/informative/fun stuff on here of activities and items of interest that might attract bikers who arrive on this site as casual web surfers.

Gather Ye Oil Puddles While Ye May.....
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bob121

Post by bob121 »

One big important piece of the equation. The bike industry itself is a shrinking violet. Year in year out sales are shrinking just ever so slightly. The interest just isn't there. My eldest use to go every where with me on the bikes. My youngest has never been interested. My grandsons are excited at the prospect of getting on the aj when they are big enough. But that may change.
Winkie

Post by Winkie »

We have to face facts. Most of us love old British bikes because they are what we had when we were young. We now buy the bikes that we could not afford, but lusted over. The younger generation (sub 60!) grew up with Honda's, etc.. and that is where the growth seems to be. You only have to look at the escalating prices of early SOHC Honda's to see where the market is going.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Lets be honest - it's too expensive. I started out on a G2 and progressed onto a T90, T140 and BMW twins amongst others. I could afford to run these as my only daily transport - they were affordable and the spares were reasonable. Now today these bikes aren't cheap nor the spares either and so unlikely to be used as daily transport and therefor an expensive toy that youngsters just can't afford.
How many of you today run your classics as your daily transport? (I run a tatty R100), a lot of us use a modern machine and or most likely a car as us old 'uns can afford it.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

I use my m31 as a daily runner. If it's raining, I go in the car. But I do get caught out in it from time to time. Just wheeled it now ready to go after I've fini my coffee. I haven't spent all this money restoring it to look at it. That's what posters are for.
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Max, Bram and myself are the youngest members of the dutch matchless club. (although we are Belgian)We hit the age of 30 this year. It all starts with a general interest in motorcycles, that is whats missing in my generation. Allot of friends don't even have a garage, go to the shop when they have a flat tyre on their bicycle. I don't even want to think about the time when the older ajs/matchless owners will be perished, my garage will be stuffed with all the spare parts that are coming on the market ;) . Encourage younger family members and maybe they will bring some friends. That's what happened with Max his grandfather. He was responsible for giving us the matchless/ajs bug. Plus prices are just to high these days... Everybody wants the spirit of matchless to live on but all want the maximum price. Scaring the youngsters sadly. We are doing our part, there will be a Belgian Rally again this year in October. To be announced.
Not fired is always a misser!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Both my sons (mid 40's) have cars and modern Kawasakis. Apart from oiling the chain, an annual service, MOT and occasional new tyres they have never had to touch them. Not even having to top up oil or water. One has commuted 15 miles to Brighton every weekday for 7 years. There is little public transport from our village (one bus in and one out at unsuitable times) and it takes him 25 mins on the bike but 45 mins in the car. Car parking in Brighton is £25 a day. Bikes are free.
The other commutes 5 miles to Worthing and uses it or his pedal bike in summer purely to avoid the horrendous traffic queues.
One of them rode my Matchless once.
They are not 'bikers' although we have toured France and Spain a couple of times (when they had begrudged leaves of absence from their other halves), with them hardly ever getting into 5th gear with me at 50 to 60 on the Matchless, but for them it's largely for a holiday adventure rather than for the pleasure of the actual riding.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'