Rear Jampot - Upper/ Lower lug rubber and metal bush

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chappers1962

Rear Jampot - Upper/ Lower lug rubber and metal bush

Post by chappers1962 »

Ok, so I've reconditioned the Jampot, with all new seals, topped it up with oil and work's perfectly. The last job is fitting new rubber bushes and the spacers to the top and lower lugs. Tried warming up with hot water, etc but the dam things won't go in. Whats the technique to putting these in?
Mick D

Re: Rear Jampot - Upper/ Lower lug rubber and metal bush

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Get a socket or a piece of thick walled tube that will just pass through the eye end in the damper for the bush and drill a hole in a piece of MDF / chipboard etc. to just clear the inner metallic part of the bush.
Lubricate the bush with red rubber grease if you have any or vegetable oil if not.
Make a 'sandwich' - wood, damper, bush, socket and squeeze together in a vice or by passing a bolt through the lot and tightening a nut on it.

Regards Mick
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Many Thanks - I'll have a try.
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

After much trial and error, found the following procedure worked just fine:

1. Drink a can of Stella
2. Insert one rubber bush into the lower pinion
3. Place suitably sized socket into the pinion, to holder the rubber bush in place
4. Place in vice and position sleeve nut over the rubber bush hole (smeared with non hydrocarbon grease)
5. Tighten vice slowly, keeping everything true until sleeve nut has been inserted
6. Drink a can of Stella
7. Push rubber bush in other pinion lug
8. Place a suitable sized metal washer inside the pinion recess sitting on the rubber - This stops the rubber being pushed too far in.
9. Place a suitable flat bar (i used an old set of feeler gauges), in-between the two lugs, holding the washer in position
10. Place in vice and slowly push the bush in.
11. Follow the same procedure for all other lugs.

Apparently the club bought rubber bushes are very tight, but using the method above, fitting is relative straight forward.

Please note, that alternative Alcoholic beverages can be used during this procedure.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I inserted rubber and steel bushes using washers and drawbolt, with a dash of washing up liquid to lubricate. Remember to use washers or a piece of metal between the alloy lug 'ears' or they could snap off. Andy
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Just to add the missing step for easy fitting of jampot upper and lower lug rubber/metal bush, which is heat the rubber bush in boiling water before fitting. Did the last lug today and it was so easy to fit. So to help anyone else, the approach is:

1. Soften the rubber bush with boiling water
2. Insert rubber bush into the lower pinion
3. Place suitably sized socket into the other side of the pinion, to hold the rubber bush in place
4. Place in vice (or use draw bolt) and position sleeve nut over the rubber bush hole (smeared with non hydrocarbon grease - washing up liquid will do)
5. Tighten vice slowly, keeping everything true until sleeve nut has been inserted
6. Soften the other rubber bush with hot water, then push into the other side of the pinion lug
7. Place a suitable sized metal washer inside the pinion recess sitting on the rubber - This stops the rubber being pushed too far in.
8. Place a suitable flat bar (i used an old set of feeler gauges), in-between the two lugs, holding the washer in position
9. Place in vice and slowly push the metal bush in.
10. Follow the same procedure for top lugs (metal bush both side of the lug).
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Washing up liquid contains salt and is not very rubber compatible, (pretty sure it's not vegetable based), Using it as a lubricant should be avoided if possible.

Regards Mick
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Washing up liquid contains salt and is not very rubber compatible, (pretty sure it's not vegetable based), Using it as a lubricant should be avoided if possible.

Regards Mick
I use WD 40 for this sort of job as it doesn't seem to harm rubber or plastic and dries so that the bushes stay where they were put
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

WD 40 for me to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
WONDERFULL Product.
Ride with Care and Live Long .
To ENJOY your Motorcycling and Scootering .
r w webb
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

I dont use WD-40 on rubber... WD-40 warns for using on rubber as stated on the website:

Is WD-40® Safe to be used on rubber?
Certain types of rubber will swell upon prolonged immersion. There are applications involving rubber and some plastics, which should be approached with caution or avoided when using WD-40®. Always test surface first.
Not fired is always a misser!