Stolen bikes

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bitza

Stolen bikes

Post by bitza »

Browsing bbc red button news Friday 16th . Two bikes nicked down South Wales,near Swansea, one a BSA gold star 500cc b33, and aTriumph 3ta trials all chrome with a silver tank,
both been restored by a father and son, some info on f/book,with photos apparently there seems to be a few going missing in this area, it could be a regular bunch of scrotes at least two mabey three with
A decent size van.
JimFitz

Re: Stolen bikes

Post by JimFitz »

It is worrying that registered addresses can be searched by many different people nowadays, eg parking companies, supermarket cameras etc and quite likely, hackers. It is not possible to hide your reg number when on the road and if someone takes a liking to your bike and can get hold of your address then it is only a matter of time before your bikes will be gone.
Try not to post pics of your bike on the net which show the reg no - cover it up. Also chain up the bikes in the garage and invest in a decent alarm and cameras linked to your smart phone.

I did read somewhere that photos taken on a smart phone show the photo location quite accurately. Some fora and social media sites automatically strip the location information out when they are uploaded but quite likely, some may not.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

One would hope that the DVLA and the insurer's database ASKMID would put a 'flag' on their records to identify stolen bikes, although from what I have read it seems that unless the bikes are exported whole most are stripped and sold as parts.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

What an awful thing to happen...............gutted for the guys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47257969
only dead fish go with the flow
CharlesDP

Post by CharlesDP »

Or to follow on from that, some scum bag to join a club like ours and to look at the bikes someone owns and follow up from that, especially if someone has an unusual surname. I removed my bike from the club site.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I guess that you can never guarantee the complete security of your classic bike(s). If someone is determined to steal it then they probably will. We need to make sure we make it as difficult as possible. Use several heavy duty chains inside a fortified shed / garage which is connected to the house alarm etc. That's been my approach. Cheers. Bruce.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

This was mentioned once before but it would also be wise not to always go the same way to the motorcycle's "home" and maybe check the mirrors to see what's behind you once you get onto the stretch to home nad dodge a bit to see if they're still with you?

Johnny B
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

It reminds me of a classic vehicle show I attended a few years ago at Battlesbridge. There were two cars just driven out under their noses. Older vehicles didn't have the security built in like the do now. Having said that look at how many keyless entry cars are being pinched.

I realise it might have already been said but another trick the scrotes are using is to attach a small tracking 'bug' with a magnet under the vehicle at a show/car park, wherever. Then they know where the vehicle lives by looking at their phone. Scary stuff.