Engine numbers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanengineer

Re: Engine numbers

Post by alanengineer »

I shall go in my back room and beat myself for not being perfect. Oh what a regular occurance this has become, twice wrong since the new millenium. Where did it all go wrong.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think digital files are more likely to get errors than paper files.
I have files that can throw up perhaps 3/4 bikes all with same frame and engine number. That is because, they were made over many years and still bikes being added, that were already listed. So every so often I sort the files, so I can spot duplicates more easily. Also digital files can get altered by error's. You could also start typing in a number and it will add itself, by remembering a number previously entered, eg. you start to type in 1234567, before you end it will enter say 1234300, that already exists, so will enter automatically, before you type in what you intended. I recently made files that had names, I would start to type say John Brown, before I finish John Black will appear. I could probably stop that happening, but quite often I do need to duplicate something, so that saves me some typing.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

This is not an error there are 5 different models listed all ending 21352 lets not try to confuse any one the factory records are not wrong.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanengineer wrote:I shall go in my back room and beat myself for not being perfect. Oh what a regular occurance this has become, twice wrong since the new millenium. Where did it all go wrong.
'Twice since the minnellium'? Cuh! That's nothing, Alan. It has taken me a lifetime to reach my level of mediocrity.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G15 Roy wrote:This is not an error there are 5 different models listed all ending 21352 lets not try to confuse any one the factory records are not wrong.
I was never aware of that Roy, certainly many others also. In particular those trying to work out how many bikes made of different models etc. I am now wondering why 5 different models, if used by AJS and Matchless I would have thought it to be an even number. I will just assume it being so, because of gaps we may have in factory records. It could be, equal numbers of AJS & Matchless models were not built, so some numbers were not used, could arrive at an odd number of times a number being duplicated. Leave it at that, time for a lunch break.