Teledraulic fork - safety issues - untightening of nuts

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
sztyga20

Teledraulic fork - safety issues - untightening of nuts

Post by sztyga20 »

Hello.
During restoration of my teledraulic fork I had a nasty case: after I had fully assembled my fork and placed it in yokes, I filled oil inside at he same time pushing and pulling rod for oil dumper. I was completely astonished when I realized that it caused unscrew of locking nut (No 27) in the dumper. It is really strange because as I remember I screwed it tightly. I had to reassemble each dumper and this time I've screwed that nut extremally tightly with anaerobic glue. In other motorcycles dumpers rod is secured by double locking nuts or by special nut with holes for wire.
What do you do to protect against untightening?
Other nut which could unscrew is No 21, there is only plain washer and 2-3mm of thread below. Just imagine what happens in case of untightening that nuts during fast ride:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Teledraulic fork - safety issues - untightening of nuts

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't understand why that nut would loosen under operation during filling - there's no torque or vibration on it and little other stress.

Is the damper sleeve free to rotate in the damper and are you sure you didn't inadvertently loosen the nut when you removed the rod from the cap nut?

Regards Mick
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I have been riding AMC singles on and off since 1976 (3 different bikes) and have never had any properly tightened fork nuts undo, nor have I ever heard of anyone who has. Tighten them up with appropriate size spanners and they will stay put. Andy
sztyga20

Post by sztyga20 »

Maybe when I had tried pull rod from stanchion it rotated, and not properly tightened nut undo? Andy's experience convenced me that I must had done something wrong during assemble (not enought tightened nuts)
But to be calm I'm going to use nordlock washers instead of plain under fork slider cap.