g3l front forks

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
r wheat

g3l front forks

Post by r wheat »

Hi I purchased a 1948 basket case, the front forks are different from the 1946 I own, with different damping action, no centre rod and a fixed taper at the base of the fork. There is a large lug for the front brake on the ally part. Looking at the 1950 model they seemed to have reverted back to the centre rod and no lug. was this because it was a bad idea. does any one have any info on these forks. Does any one know what number should be on a 1948 gearbox. cheers Richard
Duncan

Re: g3l front forks

Post by Duncan »

Hi Richard, a guide to gearbox numbers is here: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... derich.pdf
clive

Post by clive »

The shuttle valve damping on the forks was not as good as the damper rod and thats probably why they reverted. Having said that i rode a 49 G80 for many thousand miles with them so they are not a total disaster.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

Hi thanks for replies, do you no if the seals and bushes are the same as the 1946 forks, there was only bits of the originals in the forks I have. cheers Richard
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

r wheat wrote:Hi thanks for replies, do you no if the seals and bushes are the same as the 1946 forks, there was only bits of the originals in the forks I have. cheers Richard
You could check with the Spares Lists in Christians Archive which might throw some light.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

Hi once again thanks cheers Richard