A worrying trend for the future

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajscomboman

Re: A worrying trend for the future

Post by ajscomboman »

REW wrote:I note that the FBHVC journal issue 1 of 2019 carries an article relevant to this discussion on page 14: http://fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/
A very interesting read Ron. Its becoming an issue obviously and already there are ways around the problem being looked into. It'll be out of our finance range at the moment but I'm sure 3D will become that much cheaper as time goes on. Just not too much time I hope!
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

ray.woolford wrote:Rob I have had the same experience, the engineering firms that could make items for us will not contemplate doing so without proper drawings with tolerances. I have said for sometime now that the first step in overcoming the spares problem is to get some of the items most urgently needed drawn up. I suggest the club advertise within the membership to see if there is anyone with drawing experience that could help out.
Ray
Sorry if this is already covered (I'm using a mobile and sight challenged!), does Andrew Engining Ltd not have drawings which the club could obtain / purchase? Other suggestion is does anyone have contacts in India?
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Other suggestion is to speak to Andrew Engineering and ask for a last batch before he retires. I'm sure he has said no in the past and is standing by the close in March stance, however, Im sure an offer of an increase in financial incentive, may help with the retirement fund - it did for me!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

chappers1962 wrote:
ray.woolford wrote:Rob I have had the same experience, the engineering firms that could make items for us will not contemplate doing so without proper drawings with tolerances. I have said for sometime now that the first step in overcoming the spares problem is to get some of the items most urgently needed drawn up. I suggest the club advertise within the membership to see if there is anyone with drawing experience that could help out.
Ray
Sorry if this is already covered (I'm using a mobile and sight challenged!), does Andrew Engining Ltd not have drawings which the club could obtain / purchase? Other suggestion is does anyone have contacts in India?
You're right it's been covered. Malcolm has sold all his drawings, it was explained to us when we were looking to buy them that they weren't top quality drawings, more working ones with some notes attached and wouldn't be much use to others wishing to produce from them.
With regards to spares, yep done that as well. All L/W stock purchased and large quantities of H/W stock as well.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Done the India and China route as well, some stuff very good others not so and extremely difficult to get refunds or fresh stock when things go pear-shaped. That's not to say it's been all bad, the comp tanks have proved to be good, same with toolboxes. Some rear wheel sprockets etc have been total crap, especially the rubber sleeve cush drive type.
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Have you looked at this company:

https://www.kenwardengineering.co.uk

Quote from their website: 'On receipt of the worn out/ broken component or drawing, our engineers can reproduce parts to the exact specification of the original item. In some cases, we have re-engineered components so that they deliver improved performance and longer life.'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

chappers1962 wrote:Have you looked at this company:

https://www.kenwardengineering.co.uk

Quote from their website: 'On receipt of the worn out/ broken component or drawing, our engineers can reproduce parts to the exact specification of the original item. In some cases, we have re-engineered components so that they deliver improved performance and longer life.'
I'll add them to the database.