Info for T Seal for tin chaincase

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Duncan

Re: Info for T Seal for tin chaincase

Post by Duncan »

This is the club one:
T Shaped Primary Chaincase Gasket.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Duncan , do you need a longer spacer between the inner and outer cover with this type of seal
Just asking , not consider buying !
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

What's this buying you learnt a new word Peter.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote:Duncan , do you need a longer spacer between the inner and outer cover with this type of seal
Just add a couple of old washers to the existing spacer. I can probably find you some affordable ones.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

g80csp11 wrote:Duncan , do you need a longer spacer between the inner and outer cover with this type of seal
Just asking , not consider buying !
Duncan wrote:Hi Ruddy

I would go for the club supplied seal every time, the American group identified it first, no messing about removing sealants every time the case comes off, it is thicker than the original as it is "T" shaped with the tapered leg of the tee sitting between the chaincase halves requiring a spacer/washer placing on the central bolt inside the case between the two halves, it is a softer foam so has some give in it and still requires the outside alloy clamping ring.
That would be a yes then.
g80csp11 wrote:not consider buying !
You are fuelling your own legend ;)
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Perhaps sometimes I do give the impression I'm careful/tight /mean what the right word ? and may even encourage it
I really don't find it painful spending money , just choose not too !
in reality I'm as generous an the next scrooge
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Just add a couple of old washers to the existing spacer. I can probably find you some affordable ones.
I've just purchased the t type seal as the previous owner of my g80 had used a tube of silicon to seal the chain case How thick do the washers need to be And would they be steel washers ?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

willowbedone wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:
I've just purchased the t type seal as the previous owner of my g80 had used a tube of silicon to seal the chain case How thick do the washers need to be And would they be steel washers ?
TBH I've not fitted the new seal (which is a bit thicker than the factory original) but I would guess maybe 3/16"? It will depend to some extent on the deformity of the mating edges of your chaincase halves. The chaincase must pinch tight on the T section in order to seal. I'd suggest offering up the outer half with a couple of washers then tightening the centre nut onto them and add/remove washers as necessary in order to pinch the seal but not seriously deform the outer half. it can 'bow' in a bit when the nut is fully tightened but not so much that the mating edges 'grin' or turn outwards.
I'd use ordinary steel washers purely because they are what come easily to hand. Any washer that won't shrink, crack, dissolve or compress over time would be fine. Ordinary steel washers are unlikely to rust as they will live in an oil mist environment.
Many folk have fitted them so maybe they'll be along to offer first hand suggestions.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

There is no hard and fast rule, a thick washer should do you need to ensure you are not distorting the chaincases.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Does anyone know D.W.buckingham's email? Thanks! Ruddy
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it