Clutch upgrade for 49' G80

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

Re: Clutch upgrade for 49' G80

Post by Pharisee »

Sykes wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

Please excuse my ignorance regarding these models!

Is it possible to fit a later (better) gearbox into this frame? Its a complete bitza anyway and rideability will be above originality on in.
I fitted a later AMC gearbox and clutch from a '60 M18 to my '53 G3. The gear box fitted fine but I had to remove a small amount of metal from the left hand engine plate to allow the box to have full travel on the adjustment.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Picking up on this a bit late, I have the AMC box in my 56 G80S, it was in when I bought it. I rebuilt and tried a GB Burman but preferred the AMC and refitted it. Perhaps the Burman didn't seem so good because I was inadvertently using a CP clutch with the GB box. I have removed some metal from both engine plates to improve the scope of adjustment.

Don't forget that swapping gearbox from Burman to AMC requires a swap in the spacer behind the engine sprocket.

Good luck.

Johnny B
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Hi Ed

I hope I've sent you a PM about your gearbox ( I can't be sure if it sent OK or not as it seems to still be in the outbox).

Bottom line is your box is in good shape generally but needs about £60 of new bits.

Bruce

Apologies to everyone else reading what must be for you a baffling posting....
Sykes

Post by Sykes »

oldandsmelly wrote:Hi Ed

I hope I've sent you a PM about your gearbox ( I can't be sure if it sent OK or not as it seems to still be in the outbox).

Bottom line is your box is in good shape generally but needs about £60 of new bits.

Bruce

Apologies to everyone else reading what must be for you a baffling posting....

Hi Bruce! Thanks very much! I have seen the PM and replied!