Hepolite badge

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rudelan_LAPSED

Hepolite badge

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hello,
I found at the bottom of a small bag in a small cloth with bolts in the toolbox of my G3LS 1955, this small badge. I cleaned it and here are the pictures. It is a brand of Piston but what is its use and time?
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it

Re: Hepolite badge

Post by 1608 »

The fixing on the rear suggests that its a lapel badge ( or pin in usa speak ). A lovely thing and would like to know if anyone can put an approx age to it. Perhaps the Hepworth name on the rear could be a clue?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

There's plenty advertised on the net ranging from an optimistic 1930s to the more probable 50s / 60s - I'd estimate 50s as it has a button hole fixing rather than a pin.

Regards Mick
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hepolite are racing pistons, in Scrambling they were used in the early sixties, Greeves for example, have a read of chapter 10, Starmaker Scramblers,

https://ajsstormer.wordpress.com/
Hepolite.jpg
Would love it if you don't want it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

It's fun to find this thing in a small piece of cloth in the middle of rusty bolts and nuts. I looked in this bag several times without ever seeing it. My bike comes from Holland and the former owner had to have it as a gift maybe ... ;)

Coins are from my last trip to the UK :beer:
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
REW

Post by REW »

Perhaps your bike has a Hepolite piston in it and the lapel badge came as a free gift when the piston was bought? Keep it with the bike, it's part of its history.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Hepworth and Grandage were the owners of the Hepolite brand
sorry I cant help dating you badge I would guess at the 1930 to 1950
Tony
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It's all been said about the badge. Yes it is the Hepolite piston logo. It is old, I would say prewar. I do not think it would have been called a pin badge at the time. These were called " Lapel Badges " at the time. Note the back of the badge, this tells its age. The back fitting will only fit in a lapel " Button hole "
Most men's suits at the time had a button hole in the jacket lapel. Button hole because it was made like a jacket button hole. A flower bloom was usually worn in the button hole. Perhaps a Rose or Carnation. They even wrote songs about it up until about the mid 50's when still in fashion. " A white sports coat and a Pink Carnation* was one. Because of its are, this makes it more collectable. If you see a prewar AJS badge, with this button hole fixing on e bay, watch it sell for £20+
Just noticed another posting has been made. The one called 50's pin badge is probably correctly dated, the button hole one being older.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

an aside! I have 'Heplex' pistons in my pre unit Bonneville and Hepolite ' racing rings' in my Norman Nippy :rofl: er, go back to sleep now. kind regards