Model Numbers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Model Numbers

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I feel a Rumsfeld moment coming on..........

"There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know".

:?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Too much knowledge, Rob!! So confusing to simple souls! I marvel at your depth of knowledge of all things amc!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

alanjennings wrote:Too much knowledge, Rob!! So confusing to simple souls! I marvel at your depth of knowledge of all things amc!
It can get confusing Alan. In particular when people ask why? Like why did they choose x, c, t, g, etc. and certain numbers, why miss numbers and letters when it appears they started to go along in alphabetical and numerical order. A model had to have an identification ID. At first this was done mainly on the engine number, the frame number gave the year ID. There were periods when both frame and engine numbers gave both model and year ID. They restarted frame numbers quite often. That was fine at the time. But today, when bikes are found to be built with parts of different years. It has become more complicated. In particular during the period Matchless had separate frame number series for each model type. It now needs an expert eye to find clues in dating a frame. e.g prewar 1939 G3, 1940 G3WO and 1941 G3L. Frame numbers were started for G3WO and G3L. So a frame number could be any of those 3 models. Also include a post war G3 when frame numbers were yet again re started. As frames did not change that much during that time period 39 to 46 an expert eye is needed.