Electrics

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
spookefoote1956

Re: Electrics

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Ah my favourite troll ;) . My reference to the regulator was that Chris might at some point be considering changing the regulator to a more modern type like a dvr2 in which case you would need to order either a positive or negative earth version.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

There have been regulators in which positive and negative contact points were made of different materials. Not so in our Lucas regulators as far as I know. So our regulators function exactly the same after switching polarity.

Albert
spookefoote1956

Good to know, thanks Albert.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks to you all for your replies .
Hi Chris , what I am intending to do is to upgrade the electrics to 12 v on my G2 . Bike has already been partly rewired by a po. but is still on 6v system . Most of the components are still of the dodgy Lucas variety so I will be looking to upgrade to modern regulator etc , however I do still want to retain the points etc .
I will not be starting the work yet as it's absolutely freezing in the shed ATM and I have enough of working in the cold all day as it is ! However I do want to prime myself with a bit of advance knowledge and do a bit of research prior to starting as like I said I am a complete auto electrics dummy .
I will be following Clanger 9 s excellent guide and I must admit if I didn't have that to follow I don't think I would attempt it .
Most of my problem is I don't understand the terminology so expect more daft questions when I get started .
Once again thank you all.
Regards Chris
spookefoote1956

Nice one Chris.

The wiring will be fine. Get 12v bulbs or LED's, 12v horn, 12v battery, DVR2 regulator and Robert is one's father's brother. :D
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

I like the sound of LEDs it's nice to see where one is going there's some deep ditches where I live !
Cheers Chris
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I replaced my lamps with 6v LEDs today, and am very impressed. The sidelight is suitable as a daytime running lamp, and so is the headlight as it draws so little current. My single is still running the original non gel alternator stator on the 6 volt positive earth system.

They're super bright and there's no delay when I switched them on. I also swapped the stop/tail lamp for an LED. I reckon it's well worth the cost, especially as the bike is only good for a realistic 60mph.

I can't be arsed to get the bike out tonight to test them as it's a bit chilly :)
spookefoote1956

Got to be honest, even though I'm 12v and LED, the chaps at the NW Section have 6 volts and they are bright as a Hollywood spotlight. I am tempted to go back to six if the dynamo ends up doing overtime. It would only mean minor alteration.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, Chris.
I'm pretty sure I've recommended this book before. It's written by the chap who runs the matchless clueless website. He explains everything from first principles in a very easy to understand way. I'm no expert when it comes to stuff that works without it being able to be seen while it does it :? but this book genuinely helps and is worth every penny.

Steve

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Greybeard wrote:Hello, Chris.
I'm pretty sure I've recommended this book before. It's written by the chap who runs the matchless clueless website.
Steve
No need to buy the book. I refer the Honourable Member for Yorkshire East to the reply I gave earlier...........
SPRIDDLER wrote:Wot Mick D said.
But if you want to go into more specific detail about Lucas electrics there's an excellent fairly simple guide here:

https://matchlessclueless.com/electrical/
Sometimes I wonder why............ :?
;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'