AMC Clutch - M31. What the ........????

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

Re: AMC Clutch - M31. What the ........????

Post by Greybeard »

dave16mct wrote:I think I'd have a go at removing those ridges before I go any further. You'd have a much smoother clutch action!
Dave.
I shall be doing, Dave, though they look far worse with the flash than they actually are. The clutch, apart from that weird pulsating sensation when hot, was in fact very smooth on the take up.

Steve
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Good old AMOC Spares came good once again this morning. Postie arrived ar 10.30 with a big padded envelope. If you're reading this down there in Kettering, thanks very much, folks.
The over engineered tool paid off :D Fitting the new rubbers was an absolute doddle, literally a five minute job. So easy that I'm definitely going to do the G80 while I'm on a roll.
I'll have the M31 back up and running in the next hour or two - I've just come in for a brew - though she'll not be going far with all that salt on the roads for a while yet ;)

Thanks for all the advice and tips, chaps, it certainly helped a lot.
Steve :beer:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I used vaseline as the lubricant for this job and remember that it was off the shaft but can't remember for the life of me how I held the thing. I may've bolted the outer part onto the chainwheel and used some scrap primary chain in a vice to hold things. I did already have a spare plain plate drilled with holes and fitted with bar that I used to tighten the clutch centre nut

I really don't recall.

Johnny B
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi guys I’ve got to replace these rubbers do you put in the small or large ones first
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I would go large, there is more to compress to then fit the small.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Large rubbers first. Don't be tempted to use any lubricant on the rubbers. I thought I was being clever by coating the hub with red grease specifically for rubber. I'd got to the point of installing the last small segment and exerting some serious torque to the hub when all the previously installed segments were squeezed out and shot into the air. I cleaned off all the grease and started again.

Don't do this...
copy-18S_2732.jpg
Do it 'dry'.
copy-18S_2734.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
laxy

Post by laxy »

For a super smooth and light clutch action on the AMC gearbox buy a teflon coated cable from venhill cables. Obviously all other clutch components must be in good order but the difference is amazing. Fitted one to my 650 CSR and was able to pull lever back to handlebar with one finger. It was as light as a modern hydraulic clutch. The one I ordered was for a commando.