NOT a happy bunny this morning

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Triumph-Legend

Re: NOT a happy bunny this morning

Post by Triumph-Legend »

I always buy quality cables produced by J J Cables. Made to size and with the correct soldered brass ends, lengths exactly correct and very high quality adjusters. They will also supply longer length cables for use with higher than standard handle bars. J J Cables, Hillfields Farm, Warwick CV35 0BQ. Tel number 01926 651470.

Steve at AMC classic spares can supply most JJ cables from stock. spares@amcclassicspares.com. Tel number (+44) 01462 811770.

I have tried other suppliers but have been disappointed with the quality of the parts supplied. :headbang:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Plugsnpoints wrote:Not a lot we can do, the club don't make them merely pass on what's supplied. You can't actually test a cable before shipping so every now and again you're going to get a rogue one from a manufacturer.
I agree and I don't think the parts department could have done more to resolve it. It's all good.

It all turned out nice again as Mr Formby used to say :)[/quote]

That's one of the main assets of the club spares, they'll always replace a part, sometimes depending on what it is they may ask for it to be returned and inspected before shipping the replacement, especially if it's a high value item, but most times it's straight shipment no questions asked.

Just a shame it had to happen on a cable that's on the other side of the pond.
Triumph-Legend wrote:I always buy quality cables produced by J J Cables. Made to size and with the correct soldered brass ends, lengths exactly correct and very high quality adjusters. They will also supply longer length cables for use with higher than standard handle bars. J J Cables, Hillfields Farm, Warwick CV35 0BQ. Tel number 01926 651470.

Steve at AMC classic spares can supply most JJ cables from stock. spares@amcclassicspares.com. Tel number (+44) 01462 811770.

I have tried other suppliers but have been disappointed with the quality of the parts supplied. :headbang:

I've had issues with both over the years, due to varying lengths etc, differing levers fitted over the years. Not a great deal of difference in my opinion but I now always try to source nylon lined kits.
As JJ cables won't supply the club due to an ancient historical bust up between a couple of members and the owner at the time, we don't have many other options except Venhill who are double the cost, nearly.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Steve sorry you had a problem In my 37 years as a club member I have covered a few miles and had only one cable fail
the nipple pulled off the bottom end it had been on the bike 17 years so no complaints and I still buy all my cables from the club
AND they have always fitted
Tony
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Before Christmas I bought two clutch cables from Steve at AMC Spares, he gave me excellent advice on which cable I needed to fit my gearbox and type of machine. One I installed to use, the other is threaded through and taped to the frame, just incase of failure, previous owner had installed the wrong cable which popped out of the lever on my first ride! The reason I went to Steve was a recommendation from a friend who also owns an AJS 18S but lives in South Africa. Riding with a spare cable is a practice which comes from years of making my own cables!!!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not especially relevant but I have always given my brake cable a severe pull when fitted just to be on the safe side.

My local MOT tester had to suffer an irate old bike owner who complained that when he tested the front brake efficiency the nipple pulled off. :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Not especially relevant but I have always given my brake cable a severe pull when fitted just to be on the safe side.

My local MOT tester had to suffer an irate old bike owner who complained that when he tested the front brake efficiency the nipple pulled off. :roll:

That's quite funny but terrifying at the same time!!! :lol:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I suppose the moral of this tale is for us to check to see if our nipples haven't fallen off before we go to bed this evening... :oops:
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I highlighted cable issues many years ago when a nipple pulled off on a new clutch cable bought from the club, no fault of the club by the way, the outer strands of the cable were broken around the upset, the Mazak casting was rubbish and the nipple just fell to pieces.
If this was a front brake cable it should be classed as a SC (SAFTEY CRITICAL) item and should be tested as such, a 100% proof load test between nipples and a first off/ last off test to destruction.
Mazak nipples are very strong if correctly cast, but the process must have robust controls to ensure 100% good cables, evidently this isn't happening.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Very slightly off subject.
Some may recall the dealer in Great Missenden, Bucks. Bert Jeffries. Real old school bike repairer and occasional new and S/H sales.

Old Bert sold me a new CZ250 Enduro/trail bike. Did not tighten the front wheel properly during the PDI assembly. I was tear arsing down a local byway, coming up to a bridle way crossing the track. Hard on the brakes. Front brake back plate spun round and wrapped the cable around. Brake locked solid, I went over the bars doing a pretty good Superman impression as the bike went down. After I picked myself up, unwrapped the cable and continued on my way with just the back brake working. Went to see Bert for a new cable. Told him what happened.

Typical Bert response.
You fell off.

Course I bloody well fell orf. You never tightened the flipping front wheel nut.
I did get an new brake cable free.

Bert fell off his perch many years ago. But to all who knew him. He was an absolute bloody diamond bloke.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I both make up cables and source others from AMC Classics as it's easier to work with Steve than directly with JJ. Making up the cables has always been my preferred approach.

My first choice for parts is to use the Club Spares for most things but I find that I also use AMC Classics as Steve is helpful, knowledgeable and honest.

Johnny B