Hairpin Valve Springs

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Ozmadman

Re: Hairpin Valve Springs

Post by Ozmadman »

Any idea of the cost and can we pre-order a set?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

but will they be ok for my 1966 G3 ? I have been led to believe that these are different to the ones for the older bikes
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Are they three coil or four coil and what gauge of wire are they made from?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

No idea of gauge, all I'm aware of is they're for H/W's and were made from an original sample. I'm sure Andrew Engineering know what's required having manufactured them before.

Sorry but the L/W's may have to be poor relations again. Lack of sample and low demand will also mean the unit cost maybe high (bit like the seats and clutch centre). However as we have a couple of spring suppliers, if a sample can be supplied we can enquire.

If it's anything like the short-stroke valve spring debacle we went through several years back it'll likely not happen. The gauge, spring rate, material and other numerous differences made the project costly compared the the Longstroke H/W tourer market. Price was coming in at over double or more, can't remember the full ins and outs now as it was a while ago now.
ksj wrote:but will they be ok for my 1966 G3 ? I have been led to believe that these are different to the ones for the older bikes
Sorry, no for the exact reasons stated above. From 64 -on all models were short-stroke, however Ken De Groome carries out coil spring valve conversions for these models.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Do you want a L/W sample?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Ozmadman wrote:Do you want a L/W sample?
Paul we will happily have any samples that we can put into stock. It then gives us a chance to go to manufactures and get prices. If you prepared to let us have a samples long term please send them to the spares dept with the part numbers and model L/W it came from. We'll then send them of to get prices. For those who supply samples the deal is they get a set FOC for assisting.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I have a set of 14 CSR hairsprings, taken from the 1966 one that I wish I'd not sold on, I thought it was a nice machine although much maligned. The springs are probably not too bad as I may, in my ignorant youth, have replaced them too early when I had the engine stripped down after the head came off the ex valve.

The Club is welcome to them as I doubt I'll have another lightweight and so long as I can have them back in the extraordinary event that I do get another lightweight i.e. I retain title until I snuff it.

Johnny B
dodger

Post by dodger »

I thought later CSR's had coil springs, the 1965 example I am currently restoring came with coil springs.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dodger wrote:I thought later CSR's had coil springs, the 1965 example I am currently restoring came with coil springs.
They did indeed but a set of hairpins, they'd be worth getting as we have a manufacturer.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

In which case someone had swapped heads before I got it. It was definitely a 1966 14CSR. I had such fun with the gearbox.

It certainly had a ridiculously high domed piston and went really well. Piston sloightly damaged in the valve head incident but nothing else and got the welded at work. This was fortunate as I had only put it in, new, after rebore not very long previously.

The set I have are certainly Lightweight ones as the gauge seemed slightly less and the number of coils differ; assuming my memory's working. I can't get at that part of the lock up at the moment, it's cluttered up with rotovator parts (another thread under General Topics).

Johnny B