Gearbox rebuild

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
g80csp11

Re: Gearbox rebuild

Post by g80csp11 »

No last year was a replacement engine and bushes in the gearbox , but because I was running late I did not replace the main bearing
short cut I know , and now im paying for it
but at least it gives me something to do while im waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

and before you say I never use the oven for bearings and cooking at the same time ( well almost never )
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:No last year was a replacement engine and bushes in the gearbox , but because I was running late I did not replace the main bearing
short cut I know , and now im paying for it
but at least it gives me something to do while im waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

and before you say I never use the oven for bearings and cooking at the same time ( well almost never )
I don't believe you, I know how careful you are! :rofl: :rofl:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote: i'm waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

Hope you washed your hands after touching chicken and before putting the gearbox case in with the pie .......salmonella poisoning can be very nasty for alloy castings .
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Some of the tools in the photos are a mystery to me although I am most familiar with the wooden stick with the big metal bit on the end. From a health and safety point of view keep your thumb away from the metal bit and always wear a condom.
Sorry, I meant always wear oven gloves. I always get them mixed up for some reason.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I think the issue that I have on my 46 G80L is mainshaft end play , does not sound unusual as the manual suggests the following

Gearbox Mainshaft End-Play
Assuming the kick-starter pinion nut is tight, check the small bearing of the
mainshaft in the kick-starter case. Shim washers placed between the bearing and
the housing may provide a remedy if wear is not too advanced

The smaller bearing was replaced last year as well as the bushes in the output

The symptom is that under any heavy load I get severe vibration through the transmission
its not the clutch basket rollers as play is in the shaft its self
Ive replaced the layshaft bushes

The plan today is to strip out the gearbox in situ , feel the condition of main bearing and deal with the shimming if I cant find anything else with unacceptable wear .
Expat

Post by Expat »

spookefoote1956 wrote:
spookefoote1956 wrote:Some of the tools in the photos are a mystery to me although I am most familiar with the wooden stick with the big metal bit on the end. From a health and safety point of view keep your thumb away from the metal bit and always wear a condom.
Sorry, I meant always wear oven gloves. I always get them mixed up for some reason.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Post by Expat »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
g80csp11 wrote: i'm waiting for the homemade chicken pie to cook in the oven ,

Hope you washed your hands after touching chicken and before putting the gearbox case in with the pie .......salmonella poisoning can be very nasty for alloy castings .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)