1956 G3LS - Flywheel Driving side Axle

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
spookefoote1956

Re: 1956 G3LS - Flywheel Driving side Axle

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Is it the same as a 500?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

AMOC Spares has all you'll need:

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersus_listItems.asp

You may find this article useful:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... hanics.pdf

Also this article gives the info on what's involved in splitting the flywheels:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... ctions.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Many thanks all - what a brilliant resource.

Will be looking to visit Andrew Engineering near Manchester to have the axel professionally replaced. Will also be looking at replacement lower bearings, including big end, whilst crankcase is opened up. There's no play in the big end and the rotation is smooth, however will replace to be on the safe side.

The bike was laid up for 20 year in a shed. Only know that the owner rebored to +.040 and then did 2000 miles (MOT record). The piston is lightly scored adjacent to the inlet and exhaust ports suggesting grabbing during running-in (poss due to too higher revs during running-in and/or flooding removing lubrication from the barrel wall). Standard of workmanship was very poor, with more silicon gasket glue than pukka gasket - a ball of the stuff was extracted from a rocker box oil-way.

The cam is a very sloppy fit on the axel spline, also the axle nut wasn't particularly tightly done up, suggesting 'hammering' in place causing the damage. A new cam will be on order.
Also, the chain case was filled with grease instead of a bath of oil suggesting the owner thought this would be a solution to leaks!

There was more grease on the bike than a cheap 'chippy' and paintwork looked like it was done using 12 coats of Dulux gloss - however, this has resulted in a very well preserved bike underneath.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

The big end is quite expensive to replace so if there's no play in it perhaps it's worth leaving it as it is? I've never understood why they are as expensive as they are! It's your choice of course. Cheers. Bruce.
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

thornebt wrote:The big end is quite expensive to replace so if there's no play in it perhaps it's worth leaving it as it is? I've never understood why they are as expensive as they are! It's your choice of course. Cheers. Bruce.
Agreed - Will make a call once checked over by the Engineering company.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I was thinking the same about the big end assembly and you'll be able to give it a thorough inspection when you've split the flywheels. As you no doubt know, it's wear allowing 'up and down' movement that you don't want but there will be some side-play/rock of the conrod which is acceptable.
BTW- If the Andrew Engineering you mention is the one at Atherton I understand that Malcolm has retired. He used to manufacture a lot of AMC parts but stopped around 12 months ago and is just selling off his remaining finished parts stock. However, I don't know if he is carrying out repairs/rebuilds............ :?
The most often mentioned and highly rated alternatives are Ken de Groome and TL Engineering - see their Jampot adverts for details.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

A little bit further down the road for you, but Dave in Ledsham village knows his stuff and has all the skills and equipment to do your crank. He did an excellent job on my Lightweight engine (after a bit of persuasion, he much prefers working on Heavyweights... :roll:)

http://www.messcheshire.co.uk/aboutus.html
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

clanger9 wrote:A little bit further down the road for you, but Dave in Ledsham village knows his stuff and has all the skills and equipment to do your crank. He did an excellent job on my Lightweight engine (after a bit of persuasion, he much prefers working on Heavyweights... :roll:)

http://www.messcheshire.co.uk/aboutus.html
Thats great thanks!
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I was thinking the same about the big end assembly and you'll be able to give it a thorough inspection when you've split the flywheels. As you no doubt know, it's wear allowing 'up and down' movement that you don't want but there will be some side-play/rock of the conrod which is acceptable.
BTW- If the Andrew Engineering you mention is the one at Atherton I understand that Malcolm has retired. He used to manufacture a lot of AMC parts but stopped around 12 months ago and is just selling off his remaining finished parts stock. However, I don't know if he is carrying out repairs/rebuilds............ :?
The most often mentioned and highly rated alternatives are Ken de Groome and TL Engineering - see their Jampot adverts for details.
Thanks - looking at posts on Ken de Groome , believe he has hung up his spanners for good. TL Eng look good, although a little far away from where I live 'up't north'
clive

Post by clive »

Don't let's get confused. Ken de Groome is still advertising in the magazine and as far as i am aware is still working although he may not always answer the phone if in the middle of a job. Andrews Engineering however have stopped manufacturing and are now only selling off existing stock.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix