Loud Silencer

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Expat

Loud Silencer

Post by Expat »

Thought she sounded a little more raucous. No, not complaining about me fiddling about.

When the new rattle began I knew, Feked exhaust baffle has blown out from it's snug fit in the end of the pipe and is rattling around in the silencer.

So need to think how to retain said baffle without increasing diameter of pipe.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
spookefoote1956

Re: Loud Silencer

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Loud pipes save lives.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Expat wrote:Thought she sounded a little more raucous. No, not complaining about me fiddling about.

When the new rattle began I knew, Feked exhaust baffle has blown out from it's snug fit in the end of the pipe and is rattling around in the silencer.

So need to think how to retain said baffle without increasing diameter of pipe.
Countersunk pop rivets will do the job.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Loud pipes save lives.
Sensible riding saves lives, loud pipes just annoys people: discuss
spookefoote1956

There is no arguement that sensible riding saves lives. However, drivers who are using phones, listening to music; cyclists and pedestrians wearing earphones etc etc need a few extra decibels to wake them up!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

spookefoote1956 wrote:There is no arguement that sensible riding saves lives. However, drivers who are using phones, listening to music; cyclists and pedestrians wearing earphones etc etc need a few extra decibels to wake them up!
+1 :rofl: a bike needs to sound like a bike not some muffled purring cat as most modern bikes sound now. My lightweight has no baffles and sounds like a bike should and like they all sounded back in the day
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

my twin has no baffles as such , the silencers are effectively straight through and there is no plate on the end of the perforated tube that is attached to inner end of tailpipe , it is not loud it just sounds like a british motorbike .

when i hear that ringy sound of a triumph exhaust of the guy round the corner from me i am glad i have my AJS with its deep tone sound that can set off a car alarm at 200yds .
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

g5wqian wrote:my twin has no baffles as such , the silencers are effectively straight through and there is no plate on the end of the perforated tube that is attached to inner end of tailpipe , it is not loud it just sounds like a british motorbike .

when i hear that ringy sound of a triumph exhaust of the guy round the corner from me i am glad i have my AJS with its deep tone sound that can set off a car alarm at 200yds .
:) :)
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
spookefoote1956

"when i hear that ringy sound of a triumph exhaust of the guy round the corner from me i am glad i have my AJS with its deep tone sound that can set off a car alarm at 200yds ."

I remember when they sounded like a real motorised bicycle. When I was a lad I had a Z650 with a 4 into 1 on it. Boy could that scream. Quick rev behind a car made the driver sit up and take notice. A friend of mine who had a loud exhaust drew up alongside a car at some lights. The driver wound down their window and told him to "F**k off, I'm trying to make a phone call". So do I care if I annoy folk with a loud (not noisy, which is conpletely different thing) exhaust? Not on your Nelly!
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I had a Suzuki GS850 with a 4 into 1. That howled... :)
My two Meriden Triumphs aren't exactly quite and my two AMC singles make a rather pleasing noise when you get them up over 3 grand!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.