1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by Plugsnpoints »

It definitely didn't have one to start with when I bought it a month ago! That's why I didn't know it was missing. It's an unknown still. I hope to have it running sweetly by the end of the week! Motorbikes and women cause me no end of grief! :D
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote: Motorbikes and women cause me no end of grief! :D
Good luck.
As one of my girlfriends said: "If it's got tyres or t*sticles it's bound to be trouble".
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Bikes do go without a main jet. I recall Jampot rally at Oakhampton Devon years ago. My little AJS 1936 250 started running awful. Not sure if it was 2 or 8 stroking, certainly did not run like a 4 stroke. Until you opened the throttle then it flew. As revs dropped going up hill back to the rally site two up, it almost died. Took the nut off the bottom of the mixing chamber and the main jet fell out. Not only that, I found the carb just hanging on the studs, nuts were only hanging by a couple of threads. I had to wonder if someone had been trying to nic its unusual, horizontal mixing chamber carb, while the bike was parked in town.

Post by 1608 »

Anal carbs and nuts falling off, whatever next :rofl:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

1608 wrote:Anal carbs and nuts falling off, whatever next :rofl:
The anal carb is a race version of the oral carburettor...
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

This is starting to get to me now! :o

The ignition timing is spot on (1/2" before TDC fully advanced), a new set of points (15 thou gap), condenser and plug. The HT lead is good and coil connections good.

The carb has been stripped, cleaned, blown out, it has new fibre washers. new float seat and new float needle. The main jet (correct one) is now installed. The mixture screw is 1 1/2 turns out.

I give it a little tickle and away it goes.

It pops and bangs but still won't rev. It dies when I open the throttle. It pops and bangs with the odd flame out of the exhaust.

Has anyone got any more ideas please? The advance retard unit is free but looks worn. Are these still available?

There's bags of compression

Thanks in advance (excuse the pun!)
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Flame from exhaust = way too rich.

It's hard to determine the cause. If the float level is right, there is maybe something wrong with the metering needle. It does have needle fitted, yes? And it's on the middle notch?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hi. yes the needle is on the middle notch. I have checked it but will make sure tomorrow. Thanks :)
clive

Post by clive »

Look at the magneto chain tension. If it is too tight the unit will not advance/retard. Try turning the unit whilst the engine is stopped. It should advance and then snap back. If it does not it is probably the chain too tight. It does need a fair bit of play. Unfortunately the pins holding the bob weights do wear. The club sells the return springs.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

clive wrote:Look at the magneto chain tension. If it is too tight the unit will not advance/retard. Try turning the unit whilst the engine is stopped. It should advance and then snap back. If it does not it is probably the chain too tight. It does need a fair bit of play. Unfortunately the pins holding the bob weights do wear. The club sells the return springs.
Thanks Clive, it's a later points and coil model though.