1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's the pip below the 'M' and the 'A'
AMAL pip.jpg
I assume you have fitted the spacer on the float pivot bar.
A while ago someone with the same problem discovered that the (new I think) float was catching on the cover's 7 o'clock internal retaining screw boss, preventing the float from rising without a sharp tap on the float chamber to release it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Nope there's no pimple on the float chamber cover on mine.

Err have I missed something out? It's about 35 years since I dismantled an Amal carb, and I just put it back together as I found it. the float bar didn't have anything on it but the float. It did have a rock hard o ring pushed onto it though. I don't suppose you know what part I need to order please?

Thanks for that Spriddler, it's much appreciated :)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

After the float goes on to the pivot bar there should be a small brass ferrule (about 1/4" long ?) slipped over the bar between the float bracket and the cover to hold it away from the cover. Unless I'm losing the plot (it happens) there shouldn't an 'O' ring on the pivot bar. It's probably that that's holding back the float from rising.

It's pt. no. 18 Float spindle bush. See dia here:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/generic-376-monobloc.html
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

That makes sense! I've just ordered the part. I had no idea!

Thanks again!

Andy
clive

Post by clive »

Previous owner probably dropped it on the shed floor and improvised with the o ring. I am sure there will be more excellent bodges coming to light as you get to know your bike.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:Previous owner probably dropped it on the shed floor and improvised with the o ring. I am sure there will be more excellent bodges coming to light as you get to know your bike.
Guilty conscience, Clive?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looking at your picture, you have an odd fuel line set up. Are you taking left and right hand taps down to a double fitting on the float chamber. Or just using the left hand reserve tap?? You could be getting fuel starvation. See correct fuel line fittings in the picture.
Ashampoo_Snap_12 November 2018_19h06m10s_001_.png
Note banjo fitting 1, you need one of these for each tap, plus 2 off each bolt marked 2. Then T piece 3. Join up the 2 taps using the T piece. This may not be fitted central. Take a pipe off the leg of the T piece to the carb. The T piece will need to be fitted off centre to allow this. As the T piece is higher than the set up you have, this will allow you to go straight down the float chamber, with no loop hanging down below the float inlet fitting. When running use the R/H tap. Left is reserve. If you only have petrol on your set up from the reserve tap, being the lowest part of the tank, will collect more muck. Also less pressure. Note also you have your fuel pipe hanging below the top of the float chamber inlet. So petrol has to go down the loop then rise up into the carb. This loop will hold muck, also water, which will block the fuel line. Using the correct fuel line, with fuel going straight down into the float chamber, avoids the problem the loop introduces. If you do only use the RH tap, could be you do have muck in the tank. So drain some fuel out of that side off the tank to clear it. If you have not already done so, to ensure fuel is flowing OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not sure if it has been mentioned to clean the float chamber filter in the top of the float chamber. Which can also form a crust in the mesh.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:Looking at your picture, you have an odd fuel line set up.
Rob. I think the photo to which you refer isn't the carb on Andy's bike. It's not mine either!
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

With a chance of sounding daft, I have just been outside again to take the main jet out after looking up the Amal website. My next question is-does the main jet screw into the bottom of main jet holder? The needle jet is present but there doesn't appear to be anything screwed inside the bottom of the main jet holder. There's just a thread visible. If the jet is missing can anyone please advise me on what one is correct so I can order one.