Spares question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Spares question

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I've recently acquired two AJSes (I'm not sure what the plural is!).

I have ordered quite a few consumables including the workshop manual from the club spares dept. in the past few weeks, and spent a reasonable amount.

Generally I have been very pleased with the service-order the bits online one day and they've arrived the day after.

As I am new to AMC bikes, I rung to clarify if the parts were suitable for my machines. I thought it would be sensible before I ordered the wrong bits with the added expense for return postage etc. You get the idea.

When I called to see if the bits would fit my machines I was told that they needed the part numbers as they are just pickers and packers. It was suggested I rang your technical man to check correct fitment.

To cut a long story short I gave up and went elswhere this afternoon. It's a shame as do like to support the club whenever I can. I will continue to use them, but only if I can guarantee the parts will fit!

The fella wasn't rude, but maybe the system needs to change a little.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Spares question

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Passport Final (640x440).jpg
From Jampot magazine July 2018

As you see, this isn't the first time this reasonable request has been made ;)

--------------------------------
Here's how I see it:

You can find the part numbers yourself from the various free downloadable manuals on Christian's Archive.
Only you know exactly what your bikes comprise. After many years they may have 'cuckoo' or non-matching parts and this will be unknown to the spares staff. I guess they are fully occupied with their picking, packing, admin activities and just don't have the time (or the knowledge) to discuss item details. Indeed you yourself may not know that a part on your bike is from an earlier/later model. A typical example which occurs from time to time is where an owner orders a clutch or brake cable that doesn't fit and unknown to the owner (or the spares staff) the handlebar levers have integral adjusters which were not on the standard model.
Most folk with the knowledge who live within working distance of Kettering are probably retired and don't want another job.
Other suppliers, e.g. Russelll Motors and AMC Classic Spares are 2nd generation family businesses with AMC in their DNA.

(Apologies if this comes over a bit sharp (unintentionally) but as you said they do a fine job with rapid despatch and this could be compromised if much time was taken up with technical phone enquiries).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have to echo Nev's comments:

Use the freely downloadable manuals to determine the correct parts and their numbers.

If there is some degree of uncertainty search the forum for an answer, the question will probably have been asked before.

If the above fail ask a question on the forum, (it's very helpful to include a photo of the item / location in question), and you'll usually get an answer within the hour.

I also found Steve at AMC Classic an invaluable guide when it came to assessing the pros and cons of similar components.

As a 'lurker' on several other motorcycle forums I have to say this one is by far the best and most helpful in my opinion.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Asking if a part would fit your bike may not be correct if you got an answer. Unless you were also sure, the part which the part wanted has to fit, is correct for what your bike has been built with. Bikes now may not be found 100% correct.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Just for the record I was asking if the points were the correct type for my alternator M16. It will be obvious to a lot of you, but not me as I have only just got the bike. The spares place wouldn't confirm if they were the right ones for my machine. All I wanted was to have a set of points that fitted(and several other items), and not to have to post a thread or have to ring anyone. :)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There's no harm in asking Andrew. So ask here. Always give as much info as possible. At least year and model, sometimes a picture helps.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Plugsnpoints wrote:All I wanted was to have a set of points that fitted(and several other items), and not to have to post a thread or have to ring anyone. :)
I can see your point Andrew, but think of the spares dep't along the lines of Halfords (no disrespect to our very efficient spares dep't) rather than being staffed by motorcycling fettlers.
It's helping new (and long term) AMC owners that keeps these Forums buzzing and of assistance and interest to many other owners; some who don't post but just browse on here. Many of us gained much of our AMC knowledge from reading the advice from others on these pages, some of whom are long departed.
I've not been able to ride or fettle my Matchless since having a disabling biking accident 8 years ago so I enjoy the opportunity to do some 'virtual fettling' on the Forums which helps to keep me sane (more or less ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

Plugsnpoints wrote:Just for the record I was asking if the points were the correct type for my alternator M16. It will be obvious to a lot of you, but not me as I have only just got the bike. The spares place wouldn't confirm if they were the right ones for my machine. All I wanted was to have a set of points that fitted(and several other items), and not to have to post a thread or have to ring anyone. :)
I wouldn't know either but I am aware that previous owners may have made changes to a bike over the years and even if the original part number was known, it wouldn't necessarily fit. It's much easier for people who have the part that was fitted and working because they have the opportunity to say "I would like one of these".

I've constantly had to search for information ask questions to be able to fix/repair/maintain anything on my bikes. Sometimes I don't know what the parts are called so I have uppy-downy things and roundy-roundy things, even lumpy things. I'll see a bit in a box at an autojumble and ask what it is, what it does and whether my bike has one like it. I've found that most people are happy to answer my questions, no matter how basic they are, but I put in effort myself to find out first. What they don't like is when someone asks here because they can't be bothered to look for themselves and feel entitled to receive a reply. That isn't you so feel free to ask away.

Every day's a school day.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

That's a fair point.

I am not averse to asking questions. In fact if you met me I love chatting and learning about stuff in general. I'm not scared to ask how things work, it's the way I was brought up.

All I wanted was to order a set of points and get them delivered.

It wasn't a criticism at all. Just an observation and maybe help things improve which would be beneficial to everyone. :)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Even knowing the correct part number is not always going to help you discover if club spares has the part in stock. AMC introduced a new part number series circa 1952. The club spares uses this numbering series, which covers approx the finale 15 years of AMC. This does cover a majority of the bike that have survived. If you have an AJS or Matchless pre 1952. There are some 40 plus years the new part number series will not apply to. So old part numbers need to be converted to new part numbers. I would estimate, some 700 old part numbers were still in use post 1952, so will convert to a new part number. About 5 years ago I drew up a list of 236 parts that converted to new part numbers, actually " in stock " at club spares. So that would have been 236 parts clubs spares would not find listed in stock using the old part number. Understandably, some people may not know how to check if a part they need for a pre 52 bike, could be found in stock using a new part number. I will always help anyone that has a problem with part number conversion. Also help with post 52 part numbers. I may know my way about better than some. Also have info in my literature library to research. Just e mail me via prewar@jampot.com If you phone me have as much info as possible. You may need to call back after I do any research. An e mail will avoid pushing up your phone bill. I can no longer make return calls, which could sometimes cost me more for the call, than the part would cost to buy.