AJS on ebay

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

Re: AJS on ebay

Post by Greybeard »

Why do so many of these restorations (not just AMC bikes) have a front mudguard fitted of far too great a radius for the front wheel? :roll: Does no-one ever stand back to look at what they've done?

Steve
Expat

Post by Expat »

I stand corrected but that's what I thought about the rear m guard and seat, just looks thrown together.
:(

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I think life's too short to spend time criticising it. It looks tidy and someone has spent a lot of time and money on this. It's on the road which is more important than originality. :D
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The mudguards are correct. The CSR used CS cycle parts. CS had 21" front wheel with close fitting guard. It's 19" on the CSR, so there's a gap. Same with the rear (CS used 4" tyre, CSR used 3.5"). There are only minor things wrong, one's the missing insulating spacer between carb and manifold, oil pipework is very ugly, worse thing's the price! By the way Rob, I'm sure I've some crankcases like those.
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote:The mudguards are correct. The CSR used CS cycle parts. CS had 21" front wheel with close fitting guard. It's 19" on the CSR, so there's a gap. Same with the rear (CS used 4" tyre, CSR used 3.5"). There are only minor things wrong, one's the missing insulating spacer between carb and manifold, oil pipework is very ugly, worse thing's the price! By the way Rob, I'm sure I've some crankcases like those. Dave.
Cases like what Dave, plugged ones or the standard alternator ones? If it's alternator ones then I can only assume that it must have been a certain batch that left with plugged cases in 63. I have to say I've swapped my original case for an alternator type as I wanted to fit a breather into the timing side. I kept the original plugged one to use should I decide to sell the bike on.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I'll have a look tororrow but I can't remember any plug there. maybe I was distracted by all the other damage!
Dave.

Post by 1608 »

I'm not given to nit-picking but, I would expect to see some fuel in the fuel line, sooty exh. and perhaps just a hint of discolouration on the exh. pipe. has it actually been run! I'm no expert but a steering damper seems a little incongruous on a CSR. I would have to check the frame for straightness........like wot I didn't do on my Ariel before I rebuilt it!!!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

dave16mct wrote:I'll have a look tororrow but I can't remember any plug there. maybe I was distracted by all the other damage!
Dave.
I'll go to the shed and take a snap of the original case. I know it's the one and only case originally fitted to the bike as I'm only the second owner and have a black and white picture of it new in the first owners driveway. Blowing up the picture you can see the square edge of the timing case for a dynamo whereas the alternator version is rounded. The case has not been drilled and tapped for a dynamo retaining strap. I originally thought it was a mismatch set , and to be honest looked bloody awful, but have since gone onto see several other 63 CSR's with exactly the same type case with alloy plug. One of the bikes is still with it's first owner and he knows it's original as the motor has never been apart. This has led me to believe that many of the 63 models must have left the factory like this and they must have been using up old stock of dynamo timing sides.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Rob, looked today and there's no plug. Stamped 31 CSR X7707 , has 5/16" studs and no pressure relief valve, so I think 1963. Casting numbers are D/S 025023 T/S 025015. Maybe they used dynamo types up then moved onto un-machined cases like mine.
Dave.
raffles

Post by raffles »

This was offered to me as a potential raffle bike about three months ago I pointed out the things that i felt were not correct
no price was mentioned and he never came back to me
Tony