Lucas N1 Magneto Capacitor 'Snip' In Situ

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

Lucas N1 Magneto Capacitor 'Snip' In Situ

Post by Iron Head »

I'm currently fitting a certain well know brand of modern capacitor to my G80 Lucas N1 magneto and thought I'd try the option of disconnecting the original capacitor without the laborious job that is taking the armature apart. The capacitor makers don't advise it as possible but I'd read that it might be do'able and, using a small Dremel-type drill and what looks like a dental 'burr', it was a piece of cake and even let me use the original (slightly now modified!) solder tag to reinstate the -VE. Bit of sealant injected into the void ensured complete insulation of the old capacitor from -VE.

Iron Head
Groily

Re: Lucas N1 Magneto Capacitor 'Snip' In Situ

Post by Groily »

You've done well Andy!
We don't suggest it because it's a bit nip and tuck. But it can be done, I know. Are you a dental technician by any chance???
Those little weapons on a dremel are life-savers, I do agree.
We have to be careful in what we say due to the downside of someone possibly messing up and incurring the cost of a coil rewind (which we don't want the blame for obviously). But more strength to you and to others who have done it - Hat off to you.
Iron Head

Re: Lucas N1 Magneto Capacitor 'Snip' In Situ

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Bill! No I am not a dentist but did laugh to myself at the dentist this morning having a temporary crown fitted comparing it to last night's ‘dentistry' on Joe Lucas' offerings.....

Andy