Oil filter advice please!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Oil filter advice please!

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hi, I have recently acquired a 1957 Model 30 (mag ignition) and a late 1957 350 M16 (alternator/points ignition).

These are my first AMC motorcycles.

I have scoured all the books I have recently bought but can't find much information about the oil filters.

What I want to know is what filters I should buy? Where are they located on each bike?

I am handy with spanners but would appreciate any tips as well!

Can any of you help me with this please? Thank you :)

Andy
clive

Re: Oil filter advice please!

Post by clive »

I dont have a 57 model but the owners manual for 57 suggests the single has only a strainer in the oil feed pipe below the oil tank. The twin has the same strainer and also a felt filter fitted below the dynamo. Go to christians archives to get the owners manual. http://archives.jampot.dk go to books and owners manuals. Page 20 of the 57 book covers the oil filter and the strainer is shown in illustration 3.
Try the club for the filter or the strainer if missing or damaged.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks Clive. It's very helpful.

I just looked at the singles book and found the filter. It looks like a messy job but simple.

Andy
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

The felt filter situated under the dynamo on your Model 30 must be cleaned every 3000 miles, the copper gasket should be annealed before replacing it. Best to do an oil change and clean the felt filter whilst the oil tank is empty, you will realise why if you ignore this advice. MikeM.