New skills to learn.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

New skills to learn.

Post by Plugsnpoints »

As some people are aware, I have just got back on a bike (a gorgeous Model 30 at that) after many years of not having one.

I have had to get used to looking over my shoulders, and doing hand signals again. That I found easy, as I was brought up on old British bikes.

I have had a problem, which I found particularly dangerous is as there is no facility for hazard lights on this vintage machine.

I nearly fell off taking both hands off the handlebars. :oops:
Peter Morris

Re: New skills to learn.

Post by Peter Morris »

Many members have fitted indicators to their bikes Andrew, didn't ought to be too hard to have hazards.

Indicators are not for me (I don't even have mirrors on my bikes) but I can see the advantage, silly I know but if the mirrors and indicators were not on my modern bike, I would really miss them. :?
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks for replying Peter.

I was only having a giggle.

However I am looking to getting one of the Halcyon bar end mirrors soon. Unless someone can recommend a better one? :)
Janet

Post by Janet »

You should try riding a bike with a hand gear change and no indicators. Right turns are really good fun
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Even more fun on a 1900's bike with no clutch or gears. Had a young lady want a ride on my mates old BSA. She had a custom Lime green modern bike and mint matching Lime green leathers. My mate let her after a quick lesson of what little controls it had. We watched her go off down the road after a push start in the bikes direct drive, straight through a hedge on the first bend. After getting her and the bike out the hedge finding all OK we all had a good laugh. She remembered to hold the decompression lever to start the bike, but forgot to use it to slow the engine. Brakes being useless if you do not cut the engine power.