Zen

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
oldandsmelly

Zen

Post by oldandsmelly »

I've just been for great ride on my G80, but this is not what I wanted to write on the forum.

Recently, I had a sort of eureka moment. For the last few years, I've spent hours tweaking and messing about with the Matchless. Sure, it now starts and runs better but it still leaks a little oil and shakes and rattles. However, I've decided to stop fiddling with the bike and to just ride it. I'm ignoring the strange noises and oil leaks as long as it goes and stops. I've come to the realisation that a G80 has a natural state and that is a slightly oily and vibratory existence.

So, now I'm going to ride the bike as much as possible before it wears out and only fix things that stop it going.
Rob Harknett

Re: Zen

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bike is what it is. So you have at last accepted it as a machine built over 60 years ago. When it was looked upon as a dream machine. You then knew nothing about a bike 60's years into the future. Imagine what some may say in another 60 years into the future about todays dream machines. They made a noise, you had to put oil and fuel in them, They needed an electric battery to gives lights at night. They had wheels that needed a road to ride them on. So they would want their old 2018 bike fly, not need oil, fuel etc.
clive

Post by clive »

Very sensible approach
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

That tends to be my approach. If the bike is safe for both me and everyone in the immediate vicinity, and it keeps going, it's fine. If you suddenly hear a new noise, worry about it for a while, in case something is failing. If the noise doesn't get worse, and continues over a period of time with everything running fine, it gets mentally filed under Normal Noises. If it suddenly stops, worry again for a while, because something may have just broken/fallen off. If there's no evidence of that, just enjoy the relative peace. My Tai Chi teacher would be proud...

Does this new philosophy extend to the 650 as well?

Malc
Janet

Post by Janet »

clive wrote:Very sensible approach
Not for me. My bikes have to be perfect.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A lifelong practice of yours, Clive. ;)
(And me as well).

(Roy's keeping very quiet :rofl: )

Bikes are like women: You can ignore some of the noises some of the time, but..............
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Malc

Does this new philosophy extend to the 650 as well?

Yes, I am going to try and have the same philosophy with the 650 although up till now ( and massively tempting fate), it hasn't needed much in the way of fettling. I have started riding it a bit harder in recent times though and it hasn't complained yet.

The 650 is also shinier and cleaner than the G80, so it will take more willpower not to fiddle with it but I will endeavour to leave it be unless something major occurs.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

[quote="oldandsmelly"
Yes, I am going to try and have the same philosophy with the 650 although up till now ( and massively tempting fate), it hasn't needed much in the way of fettling. I have started riding it a bit harder in recent times though and it hasn't complained yet.
[/quote]

Ooh, I'm not sure you should have said that...

I've got more confident to push mine a bit harder as well. Which has highlighted the need for better tyres and brake linings.

Malc
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Janet wrote:
Not for me. My bikes have to be perfect.[/quote)

Janet stop it! My sides are hurting now!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
A lifelong practice of yours, Clive. ;)
(And me as well).

(Roy's keeping very quiet :rofl: )

Bikes are like women: You can ignore some of the noises some of the time, but..............
I would never ride a noisy bike without ear plugs, and all my bikes are 100 % in every way they need to be ;)
Roy