dip beam

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
r wheat

dip beam

Post by r wheat »

Hi can anyone tell me when dip beam became compulsory under law. having a war matchless with a black out light and having a dip beam would be of no use. and bearing in mind that these machines were built with out dip switch or dip beam I wondered how they stood in the eyes of the law cheers Richard
Janet

Re: dip beam

Post by Janet »

Under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, with some exceptions, all motorcycles registered after 1 January 1931 must have a dipped beam light.
One exception is vehicles without any lights at all which are permissible in daylight ( hence the daytime MOT ). Another is military vehicles but they must be either home forces vehicles or in use by foreign forces. I suspect yours no longer comes under that exemption. If it does, so would my ex-Dutch Army, ex-NATO Guzzi. :D

Regarding WD bikes being built without dip beam and dip switches, if you don't fit them, you would be riding illegally if you went out in the dark. However, for decades many bikes were built without a stop light but later legislation made them compulsory for vehicles first used after 1st January 1936 so, to comply with the law, a stop light had to be fitted. Yes, I am aware that people still have bikes made after 1936 that don't, using the argument that they weren't made with them. There doesn't appear to have been a big police operation to catch and prosecute these owners, though.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

by 'black out light' do you mean a shroud for the lens? kind regards
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

Hi it has a plate and shroud with a small bar of glass. thanks for replies looks like I will have to make it dip although I do not think it will make a lot of difference to the beam may be the shroud may have to be removed, don't expect to use it in dark. cheers Richard
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Janet wrote:Under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, with some exceptions, all motorcycles registered after 1 January 1931 must have a dipped beam light.
One exception is vehicles without any lights at all which are permissible in daylight ( hence the daytime MOT ). Another is military vehicles but they must be either home forces vehicles or in use by foreign forces. I suspect yours no longer comes under that exemption. If it does, so would my ex-Dutch Army, ex-NATO Guzzi. :D

Regarding WD bikes being built without dip beam and dip switches, if you don't fit them, you would be riding illegally if you went out in the dark. However, for decades many bikes were built without a stop light but later legislation made them compulsory for vehicles first used after 1st January 1936 so, to comply with the law, a stop light had to be fitted. Yes, I am aware that people still have bikes made after 1936 that don't, using the argument that they weren't made with them. There doesn't appear to have been a big police operation to catch and prosecute these owners, though.
Just thinking out loud, would that mean that if you only had a dip beam (i.e. no full beam) it could meet the regulations?
Janet

Post by Janet »

Duncan wrote:
Janet wrote:Under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, with some exceptions, all motorcycles registered after 1 January 1931 must have a dipped beam light.

Just thinking out loud, would that mean that if you only had a dip beam (i.e. no full beam) it could meet the regulations?
Only if the bike cannot exceed 25mph, or was first used before 1st January 1972 and has an engine less than 50cc, or was first used before 1931.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks for the clarification Janet.