Registration Request

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GrimJim
Deceased

Registration Request

Post by GrimJim »

I recently received a letter from the DVLA informing me that someone wanted to register a vehicle using a number of a vehicle in my name.
The letter requested ownership details, including proof of the VIN ( I assumed the frame number was what they needed). I phoned to check
if it was genuine and was assured that it was. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jim
Rob Harknett

Re: Registration Request

Post by Rob Harknett »

Probably some has got hold of an type old log book hoping they can get the number for their vehicle by fairs means or foul.
I have had Police contact me saying they have V5 document in my name for a bike. When told the reg. no. I said I have no bike with that reg.no. Police then went on and gave the frame number. That number rang a bell. Sure enough I had a bike with that frame number. I had brought the bike. But the owner said the V5 was to follow. What I did not know was, he had transferred the original number off the bike. So I was waiting for a V5 with the original number, not a new number. This was all done legally by a bike dealer. Had I been told the bike would not get a V5 with the original number, I would have still brought the bike as it was a good price. I also got an engine thrown in with the bike, as the engine fitted was a later one. The police had ben given the letter with the V5 by a person that received the letter due to a Post office wrong address delivery. Police came and gave me the letter & V5 being satisfied it was intended for me.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I had a case a few years ago that was the same. In those days their was a local DVLA office and i had to take my bike their for inspection and i presume the other person had to do the same.
I had the new V5c in my name after a month or so they sent a one line letter saying they were taking no further action. I presumed this meant i could ride it as per normal.
I would think nowadays they will get their inspectors to visit and verify the numbers for your and the third party bikes to see who has the most realistic numbers/best paperwork.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Could be someone has seen a photo of your bike and cloned it selling it on to an unsuspecting person.
It's all just riding motorbikes