Tin chain case leak

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy

Tin chain case leak

Post by Tommy »

Hi any help would be appreciated I can't seem to stop the tin chain case from leaking I have made sure the faces are flat, I've got the uprated seal from the club and it still leaks any ideas?
spookefoote1956

Re: Tin chain case leak

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Is the ally band on correctly (they can be slightly off) and is it tight enough? Mine still leaks, just not as quick!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi, I've even bought a new band from the club as the original was slightly bent I haven't murded the pinch bolt up I'll see if I can get a little bit more.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I melted some tallow in the bottom of the chaincase using a hot air paint stripper gently on the outside of the chaincase - but without burning the paint. This is, of course, better done before any oil is introduced. It worked for me. Cheers. Bruce.
Braaap

Post by Braaap »

I have always used silicone sealant inside the primary chain case on my Matchies.
Usually run a knife thru between the halves when opening it up.
Adds a wee bit of time to any jobs done... but worth it for no leaks.
The rubber and ali band just there for looks.
Much maligned by some... i love how it will survive every primary chain blow-up.... fancy ali cases get broken.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I have the same problem but not sure if it's the seal or band or just running form
elsewhere and collection in the bottom of the alloy band.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tommy wrote: I haven't murded the pinch bolt up I'll see if I can get a little bit more.
If you tap the closed end (the front) of the ali band rearwards with a mallet as you tighten the pinch bolt it may settle a bit more and you can usually then get the pinch bolt a bit tighter, closing up the gap between the two ends of the ali band.
I believe the club rubber seal is thicker than the original so you may need to add a washer to the centre stud (inside the pressed steel chaincase) otherwise when the outer nut is tightened it will force the outer cover in too far and distort the outer chaincase half.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thank you so much for all the help it's given me a few other things to try. Thanks again.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Don't put too much oil in. It should only just touch the very bottom of the chain. Any more and it will find it's way out of the clutch and dynamo holes in the back and it will appear to be leaking from the bottom of the seal.
Dave.
Expat

Post by Expat »

dave16mct wrote:Don't put too much oil in. It should only just touch the very bottom of the chain. Any more and it will find it's way out of the clutch and dynamo holes in the back and it will appear to be leaking from the bottom of the seal.
Dave.

Yup, after weeks of futile attempts to stop the leak, that's what cured it.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)