Imminent Catastrophe?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Re: Imminent Catastrophe?

Post by clive »

Expat wrote:
DB1EFDA4-09FB-4FD9-81C3-8CA52AB8176B.jpeg
Oops, that didn't work. Let's try again.
DB1EFDA4-09FB-4FD9-81C3-8CA52AB8176B.jpeg
Sorry but I think it is case proved. Look at the bottom left hand side of the case. Just the witness mark I described. You may need to get new springs, even if they are long enough tangs they do seem to be lifting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Expat

Post by Expat »

Clive,

Well b*gg*r me! My lack of experienced observation talents belie my age! ;)

Never realized the mark could have been caused that way, it just looks old. Not sure if I can see any corresponding mark on the relevant spring but......riding home from work yesterday, it did seem the rattle was more noticeable when I cocked me head to the left side, than the right. So that seems to add up.

Am I right?

I'm going to try to get out this weekend riding the bike, firstly wearing the stethoscope so I can try and probe around on the move, then with the Go Pro camera and remote mike mounted and switched about to try and pin down the source of the rattle. Good job there are some long quiet roads around here. :)

To digress on to oil consumption, I realized I could move the right hand handlebar mirror and observe the silencer while riding. No sign of smoking as I said, and the plug isn't oily, just a bit sooty. Maybe it's a combination of leakage and a tiny amount of burning?

Back to the rattle. Why would the presence of the sound react so precisely to tiny changes in throttle position if caused by the valve springs as suspected?

I dunno. Fascinating and we'll see what the sound recording shows up if I can get around to it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Expat wrote:
D0BC578E-FB4B-4071-9C9A-53F1AB7DD193.jpeg
HI Steve,
From the amount of oil coming out of the breather, it seems minimal and in my opinion you have nothing to worry about. Why not put it to use as I have done? try attaching a piece of plastic tube long enough to reach the top of the final drive chain and secure with a tie wrap. The extension will lubricate the chain as you ride. Who needs to spend money on a Scot oiler? this is a few pence mod ;)

Regards,

Neil.

BTW, I'm going out on my first attempt at a longer run since my operation tomorrow with the VMCC local section about 75 miles.
clive

Post by clive »

"Back to the rattle. Why would the presence of the sound react so precisely to tiny changes in throttle position if caused by the valve springs as suspected?"

Only thing I can think is that a bounce is being set up as a harmonic and it will vary according to changes in speed. You could try mounting the springs the other way round to see if it stops the noise. Ie left to right on the same valve rather than front to back.
clive
clive

Post by clive »

I could be onto something here. Your two valves are set up with the springs round a different way to each other in your photo. Change over the left hand set to match the right hand set.
clive
Expat

Post by Expat »

Tommy RE wrote:
Expat wrote:
D0BC578E-FB4B-4071-9C9A-53F1AB7DD193.jpeg
HI Steve,
From the amount of oil coming out of the breather, it seems minimal and in my opinion you have nothing to worry about. Why not put it to use as I have done? try attaching a piece of plastic tube long enough to reach the top of the final drive chain and secure with a tie wrap. The extension will lubricate the chain as you ride. Who needs to spend money on a Scot oiler? this is a few pence mod ;)

Regards,

Neil.

BTW, I'm going out on my first attempt at a longer run since my operation tomorrow with the VMCC local section about 75 miles.

Thanks for the tip Neil. I agree, hardly any oil blown out of the breather pipe. Must be leaking out elsewhere together with a very small amount being burnt.

Oil level as seen in the tank unquestionably drops noticeably over a short period.

How did the VMCC run go?

Regards,

Steve
Last edited by Expat on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

clive wrote:I could be onto something here. Your two valves are set up with the springs round a different way to each other in your photo. Change over the left hand set to match the right hand set.

Interesting theory Clive, I see where you're going. I looked again at my pics and see what you mean, though won't be stripping her down anytime soon.

I went out today with the GoPro camera set up on the bike and have some video/audio now which I will see about putting online so you can hear it. Set the remote mic up on either side underneath the tank so
have some interesting sounds.

Also tried riding while using the stethoscope, not to be recommended as there's too much going on to make objective decisions. :o

Also spoke on the telephone with the po today who was really pleased to hear that his old bike has covered nearly three thousand miles over here in less than three years. It was a regular commute vehicle for him for a long time years ago and he has some stories to tell about riding into London in all weathers. Nice guy, he will be eighty nine years old next weekend.

Will post a link to the video when I can sort it out.

Thanks very much for all your inputs.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

To continue the saga.....I played the video soundtrack through the tv at home and found it hard to hear the same noises I hear when riding. Not sure what to make of that!

The mic was clipped vertically to each petrol tap in turn, pointing upwards at the base of the tank and did pick up some wind noise at times unfortunately.

I still plan to get it onto YouTube and post a link here to hopefully get some opinions.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

Janet wrote:Maybe it's your teeth chattering.
Lol. Couldn't have been my teeth chattering that I could hear Janet, they were back at home in a glass next to my bed. ;)
Keep shiny side up.

Janet

Post by Janet »

Expat wrote:
Janet wrote:Maybe it's your teeth chattering.
Lol. Couldn't have been my teeth chattering that I could hear Janet, they were back at home in a glass next to my bed. ;)
Ah well, Braap said "All suggestions are good". :lol: