Imminent Catastrophe?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

Re: Imminent Catastrophe?

Post by Pharisee »

I have to admit that I didn't know that there were different springs... 3 coil and 4 coil. The photo I posted up the page aways shows the head from my AJS 500. That appears to have 3 coil springs. If I've understood the posts in this thread so far, those springs are for a 350. The head was fitted a while back and has been running happily. Is there any risk of damage if I continue to use the bike and should I be looking for some 4 coil springs as a matter of urgency?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote:I agree 100%. 4 coils for all heavyweights and 3 for Lightweights, the spring rate and gauge of the L/W springs is slightly different as well.
Hi

Doesn't the advice suggest you have lightweight springs?

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:I agree 100%. 4 coils for all heavyweights and 3 for Lightweights, the spring rate and gauge of the L/W springs is slightly different as well.
Hi

Regards Mick
Your absolutely right... my mistake. Seems I will have to find some heavyweight springs.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:
Mick D wrote:
Hi

Regards Mick
Your absolutely right... my mistake. Seems I will have to find some heavyweight springs.
Hopefully all being well, we'll be having new stock delivered in the New Year, don't know exactly when but keep your eyes peeled! :)
Expat

Post by Expat »

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

Got her all back up and running and preliminary results after a short run indicate.......nothing has changed :!: :roll:

Still sounds the same at the same rpm and from the same general area so don't quite know what to make of it (apart from a bonfire...only joking).

Couldn't find excessive play or slop anywhere up top in the rocker shafts etc., and can only assemble the springs as they were by design. Will give her more of a run in the next few days but it does seem like the valve springs were not solely at fault anyway.

There were wear marks in the spring locating plates but nothing looking too drastic, the picture I posted a way back wasn't too clear with oil everywhere.

So, the mystery remains. Thanks for all your suggestions, be only too glad to hear more.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)