Imminent Catastrophe?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

Re: Imminent Catastrophe?

Post by clive »

Pharisee said
"Clive, are you saying definitively that this is incorrect and if so which one (inlet or exhaust) should be fitted the other way around, please?"

Heaven forbid I should say anything definitive. The story goes as follows. Expat has a weird tap coming from the left hand side of his engine, his rockerbox cover shows a clear witness sign of the spring hitting the underside of the case. The owners manual and 2 workshop manuals have illustrations (all I suspect taken form the one source) which show the springs fitted one way. (that way being with the inner spring loop on the pushrod side). As pointed out against that is an explode engine drawing. I can confirm that the spring tangs were shorter for the earlier enclosed retaining plates and if fitted on an open later plate would allow rocking. Who knows the quality of 60 year old springs. If there was no tapping noise and no witness mark on the rockerbox I would leave well alone, and I too have fitted springs according to the wear in the plates.

I reckon Expat has to swop the springs round on his inlet side and report back as a service to members, after all he has A/C in his garage. :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Expat

Post by Expat »

One of these days I will do it and definitely report back.

:)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hello All,

As I had a day off work, decided to bite the bullet and take the rocker box off. It had seemed the tapping/rattling was loudest from the l/h side of the inlet valve gear area so I took lots of pics and hopefully they accompany my ramblings. :)

So, firstly the telltale rub mark on the inside of the box above the valve springs that Clive suggested was indicating interference.....no. The mark hasn't changed in appearance at all and looking closely, it's more like a smear of dried gasket sealant and rubbed off. No marks on the spring either.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it could've supplied the answer.

Everything looks good on the face of it, so I pulled the upper spring off. Should be a pic around somewhere. One leg sits higher than the other and the dimension over this and the upper loop is approx.
1 5/8 inch. The other leg dim. measures 1 3/4 inch.

Wedged a formed piece of copper rod through the plug ‘ole up against the valve head and pulled off the other spring. This is more symmetrical and measures app. 1 3/4 overall.

The spring plate can't be reversed in order to swap the relative spring positions because as Pharisee points out, there is a pip on the underside that locates in the head.

There is obviously wear showing on the plates and springs where they contact the collet lifter but not much on the actual valve stem afaics.

What do we think? Should there be a spring plate made t'other way round, or is this another of life's AMC build mysteries?

Either way, nothing so far is obviously causing the noise. The rocker shafts seem good too.

Need to resize pics before posting. Any more ideas so far?

Thanks, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

peter ranson

Post by peter ranson »

Just an idea , have you checked that the rotor is not loose on the crank and that the centre of the rotor is not loose ? The later rotors were welded because the early ones have been known to fail.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Thanks Peter but using a mechanic's stethoscope narrows done the source pretty well and it's definitely valve gear related.

At least coming from the top end. Bottom end sounds relatively quiet. ;)
Last edited by Expat on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

Hope the pics work now. Putting more in next post.
F46A30D1-E93D-470D-B63B-D7297D539062.jpeg
AD2A6D16-E0FC-4686-A36A-83D49CC8E3D9.jpeg
3E95AE91-AC36-4699-931D-8270B9846B51.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

Some more pics
72AE00A5-C1E4-4AFA-998B-7D1B788602F1.jpeg
045839BC-D6F5-4AAC-A365-B292A3ED247C.jpeg
BF9DC9A7-4074-4694-B8C8-C407B4E4090C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

Yet more
CC1E2EC2-9E9E-4189-8DAA-62E18B11A260.jpeg
249B7F72-8EE0-4C10-B8C3-CBFF077CDD37.jpeg
3D790F01-CDA1-49BD-A7F1-C5BBF23EB8DF.jpeg

Forgot to add that rattle not so noticeable until engine has warmed up.

Thanks for looking

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

Expat

Post by Expat »

First bit of info found suggests springs are shot......dimension inside spring jaws should be no less than 1 11/16, originally 2”.

Need to sort through bucket of spare parts passed on to me.
Keep shiny side up.

Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

My lightweight uses that type of spring and I wish mine were half as in good nick as yours!! apart from one being a bit wonky that wear is negligible
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed