Rare battery carrier 1955 on Ebay

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rudelan_LAPSED

Rare battery carrier 1955 on Ebay

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

For those who search because very rare ..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-MATCHLES ... SweEFbFbnX
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
Rob Harknett

Re: Rare battery carrier 1955 on Ebay

Post by Rob Harknett »

I found a few OK last one was £1.50p among a pile of junk parts. I brought it and the jumbler said what's it off. I said AJS & Matchless, no its not he said. So I told him it only fits 1955. He said something about my not getting it so cheap had he known. Unlike the one on e bay, it was not at all corroded at the top.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

I understand and you were lucky! I took two years to find one to repaint and Holland for £ 40 with shipping costs ... Sorry, I thought to please someone who needed it. Indeed this model is only suitable for 1955! ;-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That was back in the early 1990's I last brought one Ruddy. Remember only 55 bike owners would want one. Pre 55 back to pre war were quite common although they did differ a little. That type which also had the bracket for the CVC unit are also not easy to find. The last 55 one I sold to a chap that said his was Brocken at the back. I said I'd have it off him in part exchange. It only wanted a dob of weld on the back fitting. I've probably still got it some where. ( Did you already have the bottom steady strap Ruddy, that fits on the bottom of the battery carrier, and tab on the primary chain case. Using a CSK head screw, so the head does not dig a hole in the battery ? ) There was another quite recently on e bay, perhaps the same one now re listed.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Someone, somewhere is desperate for one and its good of you Rudelan to highlight it. This one seems to be stuck on the EBAy roundabout. Its a bit expensive for what it is.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

alanengineer wrote:Someone, somewhere is desperate for one and its good of you Rudelan to highlight it. This one seems to be stuck on the EBAy roundabout. Its a bit expensive for what it is.
I am sure its the same one re listed I saw a while ago Alan. No one wanted to pay £50. With still front hinged part and truninion to get.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Thank you for your answers! Yes the price is excessive, fortunately I found mine in Holland (complete to repaint) for a fair price with the shipping costs ..
When we love his bike (Matchless) and it's a dream, we are sometimes ready to pay more for what we are looking for (especially when we do not live in the UK ... lol). My restoration is progressing but the road is not finished ;-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you don't have it Ruddy, here's the little strap that fits on the carrier base to chain case bracket. Although quite easy to make, I gave dimensions etc. to some one here not so long ago.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matchless-AJ ... Sw4Qdbn4j0