ww2 g3l matchless tank

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
r wheat

ww2 g3l matchless tank

Post by r wheat »

Hi some time ago I purchased 2off ww2 g3l in bits, for the first time I placed the tanks together to see they are slightly different. One is flatter on the top and the other is a little more rounded and the tank filler are in a slightly different place every thing else is the same. were two or more tank designs used or is one later than the war. cheers Richard
Rob Harknett

Re: ww2 g3l matchless tank

Post by Rob Harknett »

There were at least 2 WD tank pt. no's. 41- G3L - T103 & 42 - G3L - T103 Some had a finish prefix like KF for kaki green finish. All had internal expanding filler caps, some had different finish. 1940's Post war tanks had different part numbers almost yearly. I have no idea how they differed. Perhaps by the number of screw holes for metal rubber plate fitting, or maybe no holes for badge if transfer was used. That's only guessing what changes may have been. Its not until 1950 when the tank seems to have the filler cap position further back. This tank also had a flat top push on and turn filler cap. Quite and notable change from the earlier tanks that had the Pie crust internal expanding filler caps. So check that tank that looks different to see what filler cap it takes.
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

Hi thanks for reply, both tanks use the same filler caps and the 4 bolt holes are the same. I have tried to put 42 - G3L - T103 in the internet but nothing seems to come up to show a different tank, if any one has any info on the above number please let me know cheers Richard
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

r wheat wrote:Hi thanks for reply, both tanks use the same filler caps and the 4 bolt holes are the same. I have tried to put 42 - G3L - T103 in the internet but nothing seems to come up to show a different tank, if any one has any info on the above number please let me know cheers Richard
I was not referring to bolts holes, I referred to tank rubber plate fixing screw holes and badge screw holes.. What filler caps fit internal expanding or push on and turn. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... t_1050.pdf Note this parts list states 41-G3l-T103 tank, but the illustration states 42-G3L-T103. ???? error or what ?? No screws for tank rubber plate, plate or rubber listed also no badge or badge screws listed. So assume the holes seen on the illustration is old artwork. But you will see bikes with or without rubbers and badges. I believe some girder fork 40/G3WO bikes had tanks without the tank instrument panel. So this may be another slightly different tank to the 41 G3L.
001_.png
Note in this parts list for 40/G3/WO the tank has a water deflector, plus screw. One of your tanks may be one of these. 39-G3-T103 You will probably only find tank info in the parts list which a search will not find. Even then, its not at all helpful, more than confirming the were different tanks. You will find reference here also mention what I have mentioned perhaps more.
http://www.matchlesswd.co.uk/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r wheat

Post by r wheat »

Hi the flatter lower tanks that looks like the one in the 41 manual, has holes for knee pads. the filler cap is the internal expanding type on both tanks. Thanks for taking the time to help , I guess there may not be an actual answer, cheers Richard
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well at least expanding filler caps rule out 1950 or later. WD and post war 40's were 3 gallon tanks inc. post war 500. So cannot measure capacity to prove anything. Only other thing I can think of checking is bolt fitting hole centres, if they differed over the years. If throw at the WD bike experts, some one may know more. I have seen tanks with knee rubbers fitted also tank badge screws. Some without either. But restored bikes which anything can happen to. If fitted I guess no one could see a wrong tank fitted. Also hardly any bikes ended the war still as the left the factory. I could check engine and frame numbers to see if they match WD numbers to a WO contract. As you probably know each contract had is own parts list. So they may help in putting bits together to make a complete bike. Also confirm year made, to id a WD or post war frame. Even that needs an expert eye as numbers were restarted twice. From prewar era, to WD and again postwar, ( Not checked when they changed the WD bike numbers, could be after G3WO )