Centre and prop stand spring locations.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
RayB

Centre and prop stand spring locations.

Post by RayB »

I have a G3LS 1956 which I have just rebuilt except for the springs on the Prop and centre stands.
Can anybody help with a diagram of routing for the springs attachments please, or an explanation as I am completely confused.
Thanks
Ray Bennett
aobp11

Re: Centre and prop stand spring locations.

Post by aobp11 »

I had a look at the center stand of my 1956 bike with the bike parked at that center stand. The spring coil looks as a left threaded bolt. The left end of the spring hooks over the front side of the traverse stand tube (tries to pull the stand back in horizontal position). The right end hooks (I hope I see this correctly) in a hole in the rhs engine plate.
My jiffy spring is not original and is hooked in the same hole. IIRC the correct way is to hook the spring end through both adjacent tiny holes in the rhs horizontal frame tube.
(Better wait for other replies!)

Albert
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

See attached pictures:

Hooked end of centre stand spring goes through engine plate arrowed, with spring fitted around pivot bolt, the rest should be self explanatory.
IMG_0839.jpg
Side stand spring end goes in one of two holes in the inside of the offside (arrowed) bottom frame rail (the same whether they are detachable rails or not). Unless I'm mistaken, if fitted in one of the holes the side stand stays down if the bike is put in an upright position, fitted in the other hole the side stand puts itself away if the weight of the bike is taken off of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Peter Morris on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayB

Post by RayB »

Thanks to all who replied I found the two little holes for prop stand so all good and I hadalready set the centre stand which would appear to be correct but it was one difficult task to get rod and spring fitted but may have been better to assemble when buillding the frame up. Thanks for answers anyway