You may never have to do this but...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

You may never have to do this but...

Post by Tommy RE »

I had been hunting for replacement parts for my 1940 G3 WO over the last two years to replace those destroyed in the disastrous fire of three years ago. One of these was more in hope than expectation. Namely, a Lycett Rexene seat cover. I made enquires via this forum and a member kindly said that he had one of early to mid 50's vintage that would probably do. Unfortunately, he had not liked the colour for his bike and used a beige spray on shoe dye to change the colour. I parted with the sum requested and took delivery.

I had purchased a replacement report saddle (good job I did as the original was too badly damaged to use) but I was unhappy with the modern take on Rexene that was used for the saddle cover. I had been pondering on how to remove the shoe dye without resorting to abrasive action from my purchase as the re sprayed cover had more of the correct look and feel about it.

I turned to our old friend Google for the answer and came up with the following for shoes which I tried out on the cover:

Get some wire wool and pour a small amount of cellulose thinner or acetone on to it. very gently rub across the dye to allow the thinners to penetrate the dye, but not the cover. This works very quickly on the dye. Wipe away the dye residue with a dry cloth as you go. When the majority of the dye has been removed pour some neat cellulose thinners/acetone on a clean rag and remove the remainder of the dye, working thoroughly into the stitching and rivet heads. Allow to dry, then pour some panel wipe onto a clean cloth and rub the seat cover down all over.

The end result was a cover turned back to its original back with none of the original years of bum on saddle patina lost RESULT! :beer: now fitted to the bike and does not look so new :D

Tommy RE

P.S. Do this in the open air.