One person stops motor cycle event being held.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Group Leader

Re: One person stops motor cycle event being held.

Post by Group Leader »

Andy51 wrote: Apply a simple test - if the noise has been there longer than the house, hard luck and learn to live with it!
Unfortunately this excellent, Common Sense, rule fails misreably these days due to the complete lack of common sense demonstrated almost across the board and it applies to so many things; airfields, railways, racing circuits to name but three.

The balance of power has been tipped far too heavily towards the individual who typically can be offended, outraged and incensed by anything they are not directly involved in. In my opinion, objections from newcomers in recent developments that surround such facilities should automatically be disregarded because of Andy's simple test. These people will also be the first to complain when their nice shiny new, plastic house in "Flood Plain Road on the Water Meadow estate" floods!

When I started work many years ago for an aviation company based on a famous airfield a new colleague, who had just moved to the area, bought a house at the end of the runway. The housing estate had been built by the original company to house its workers. He liked the house, it was very convienent for work but he was annoyed by the low flying aircraft ......

The problem started a good while ago but has now developed into a very high state of tune (read as stupidity) by the "professionally outraged"!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
clive

Post by clive »

Not quite as straightforward as it seems. I had a neighbour complain about the leaves falling from the sycamour tree at the bottom of our garden. I asked her "was it there when she moved in" (It's probably 50 years older than her house)? I did offer to share the cost of pollarding it with her but the offer was not taken up.
Having said that I knew Heathrow existed when we bought the house but it doesn't stop me objecting to runway 3 which will shift the flight path to over our house. Never mind I doubt it will be built!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Rob Harknett wrote:For the last 25 years a Motor Cycle drag race / Jumble event has been held at North Weald Airfield, nr. Harlow Essex. This is the site that hosted a Jampot and Alternative rally organised by the East London & Essex Section. Owners of the site Epping Forest District Council have refused permission to hold the one day event. Using the freedom of information act, the organisers discovered just one person had made a complaint which led to the ban. The organisers made contact with the person in an effort to agree a ban on motor cycles taking part, that caused the complaint to be made. The person refused to consider this, on the basis his complaint covered all motor cycles. Large or small, fast or slow.
This smells of objection's against motor cycles again in the area. The airfield has been there over 100 years. Flats and houses close by no more than a decade. Will this soon exclude motor cycles visiting the airfield. As groups do gather there, enjoying a chat, the aircraft and refreshment's at the café's. It was not so long ago, nearby Harlow put a ban on motor cycles riding together in the town. Although this was withdrawn when it became national news. What next??? using roads and M11 motorway that run along side the airfield 24/7 full of traffic ?
For me the simple solution would be if the person who objected to the event simply took themselves off for a day out. Visit friends, long walk in the country or whatever. Problem solved. Cheers. Bruce.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

thornebt wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:For the last 25 years a Motor Cycle drag race / Jumble event has been held at North Weald Airfield, nr. Harlow Essex. This is the site that hosted a Jampot and Alternative rally organised by the East London & Essex Section. Owners of the site Epping Forest District Council have refused permission to hold the one day event. Using the freedom of information act, the organisers discovered just one person had made a complaint which led to the ban. The organisers made contact with the person in an effort to agree a ban on motor cycles taking part, that caused the complaint to be made. The person refused to consider this, on the basis his complaint covered all motor cycles. Large or small, fast or slow.
This smells of objection's against motor cycles again in the area. The airfield has been there over 100 years. Flats and houses close by no more than a decade. Will this soon exclude motor cycles visiting the airfield. As groups do gather there, enjoying a chat, the aircraft and refreshment's at the café's. It was not so long ago, nearby Harlow put a ban on motor cycles riding together in the town. Although this was withdrawn when it became national news. What next??? using roads and M11 motorway that run along side the airfield 24/7 full of traffic ?
For me the simple solution would be if the person who objected to the event simply took themselves off for a day out. Visit friends, long walk in the country or whatever. Problem solved. Cheers. Bruce.
I organised a car event years ago and had lots of serious objections from a neighbour, on the day of the event I called at his house to make sure he was happy with our arrangements and he was not even at home having been on holiday for a fortnight. He just objected to be awkward.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Strange world we live in nowadays!

I don't know the specifics of this case but in my experience such events tend to be in aid of charity, (often local), - they are supported by a large proportion of the community - what logic permits a minority of objectors to prevent charitable donations and enjoyment by the majority?

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Hi Rob what event was this as I am having talks with a company about a big Classic bike/car event
Next year where we hope to have a few local sections attend.
Roy
Janet

Post by Janet »

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Guess a drag event would appeal to the politically correct :lol:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

20170204_161623.jpg
Roy would be fine then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:Roy, it's a drag race event.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1 ... ag-racing/
But that May 1st report is not what I am referring to Janet. Which I believe features only cars. The event I believe I was referring to featured only motor cycles. It did when I last went.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.c ... 2b18910f96
To save you signing up here's the report
NW event.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.