Non AMC rear carrier

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Non AMC rear carrier

Post by 56G80S »

Hi

I tried hijacking some else's thread but now starting one. I'm changing the rear carrier mounting points following fitting the "right" seat for a 56 G80S (although it's got AJS piping.

I intend re-using the same flat stainless that was on when I bought the Matchless in mid 70's but relocated bottom fixing to the two bolts for the removal rear part of the mudguard (QD wheel). This flat steel is very robust and has been substantially overloaded in the past with no ill effects; cutting and drilling it is a pain. Two strips each side using the same bolting points that the AMC carrier fits onto. I plan to put a cross piece between the two flats each side secured with two staggered bolts at each end of the cross piece to prevent the flats on each side from closing up and the carrier sagging backwards.

Here's the thing. The rearward of the standard bolts uses a stepped washer to engage with the rearward end of the "grab handle" and I assume this is intended to make things more secure. I've search the forum and the parts list and there's the part 022738 Bolt, fixing rear carrier and am assuming I can use this for the rear of the two bolts on each side.

I guess this 022738 is longer to allow for the carrier while ensuring no interference with the tyre and using an AMC bolt will ensure that it matches with the captive nut! But I don't see how this will provide the stepped washer effect unless the carrier is fitted outboard of the stepped washer which in AMC fashion is domed, albeit with a small flat area for the bolt head. I'd rather have the maximum flat surface to flat surface to avoid rocking and plan to use old rusty / marked stepped washers and see if I can create a sleeve to replicate their effect.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just order the bolts and not worry about the washers and their effect (or otherwise).

Johnny B

PS planning to relocate tha indicators to the front of the two mounting points whereas previously had them fixed to the carrier; the threaded portion is a tight fit in the front bolt holes and I'll space out so that I don't foul the tyre.