Modification to Rear Hub Bearing Adjusting Ring

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
thornebt

Modification to Rear Hub Bearing Adjusting Ring

Post by thornebt »

I've just bought one of these from the Spares Scheme.

021583 RING (MODIFIED) ADJUSTING REAR

I'm sure it's not important but what is the modification please? I'm just curious.

Some of the threads in the alloy hub are not in the best of condition (this is also the reason for replacing the adjusting ring). I could possibly buy some sort of thread file but think it might be a job best left to a professional to tidy these up bearing in mind the importance of them? Any opinions are very welcome please.

Cheers. Bruce.
Mick D

Re: Modification to Rear Hub Bearing Adjusting Ring

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It depends what is wrong with the female thread but in any case I wouldn't consider a thread file.

If the thread on the old adjuster is good you could turn it into a thread chaser by putting a couple of saw cuts axially from the inside face down the thread for about 1/4" - dress off any burrs and gently wind that down the female thread.

However, I'd see if the new item fits OK first, if it does I'd leave well alone.

Regards Mick
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Thanks Mick. The threads on the old adjusting ring aren't great. Two or three are a bit 'flattened', but they are better than the first few threads inside the hub. I'm hopeful that with some careful winding in of the new adjusting ring all will be fine.

Cheers. Bruce.
bitza

Post by bitza »

I might suggest you turn the ring half a turn then back it off also use a lubricant and wipe the threads because if the steel ring picks up and siezes on the alloy you could have a scrap hub.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Thanks Bitza. I wound the adjusting ring back and forth as I screwed it in, also used some grease and kept removing it to wipe the threads to clear any debris. The thread is tight but I think things are as good as can be expected. It's doing what it's supposed to and that's always good.

I still don't know what the 'modification' is! It seems pretty much identical to the original one.

Cheers. Bruce.
bitza

Post by bitza »

If you want to ease the thread try a very small dab of fine valve paste thinned down with lubricant just a test to see if it eases the thread as I posted the last thing you want to happen is the steel and alloy to sieze .