Tyre pressure advice,

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Tyre pressure advice,

Post by 56G80S »

Just fitted new rear - Roadrider - and thanks to advice on this Forum am currently running 28 rear and 26 front. Push PSI at the rear up when towing the trailer.

But I only weigh in at 12 1/2 stone.

Hope to see you at Rushden.

Johnny B

PS am having a little trouble getting the tyre bead to run parallel with the rim despite visit to my car repairer, use of tyre soap, soft mallet and 60 PSI (so I didn't nip the tube). At least it's the rear maybe it'll "ride in".
clive

Post by clive »

56G80S wrote:Just fitted new rear - Roadrider - and thanks to advice on this Forum am currently running 28 rear and 26 front. Push PSI at the rear up when towing the trailer.

But I only weigh in at 12 1/2 stone.

Hope to see you at Rushden.

Johnny B

PS am having a little trouble getting the tyre bead to run parallel with the rim despite visit to my car repairer, use of tyre soap, soft mallet and 60 PSI (so I didn't nip the tube). At least it's the rear maybe it'll "ride in".
I have found the tyre bead sometimes does not "pop" out if the rim tape has just got caught under it. Also if the rim has a spot of rust. My technic for getting the stubborn section to pop out, after trying tyre soap and high pressure, is to reduce the pressure to around 25 PSI and then lifting the wheel and striking it on concrete (seems to "bite" better than tarmac) at the point the tyre needs to pop, but side on. Not sure i am explaining this well but you are aiming to impart a scrubbing action to the side of the tyre not the tread. Normal three of four tries and the bead will have moved into place.

With regard to pushing up the PSI when using the trailer,shouldn't you be packing this so that the centre of gravity is just forward of the trailer wheels with most of the weight carried by the trailer and only a small additional load on the bike to keep the trailer tipped downwards? Not used a trailer myself on a bike so I may well be wrong.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clive

Yes - just like when I'm towing a caravan. But it is good to have some noseweight (not too much).

As for the tyre, I really need to fit some new rims. "Some rust" well there's certainly that. I had to wire brush and then run round with emery cloth. Tyre's better than it was and fitted onto the Matchless now. I'll see how things go when I've fitted the new rear indicator that I accidently broke in the lock up. Numpty.

Thanks for the tip.

Johnny B