Competition for the Ugliest Motorcycle Ever

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: Competition for the Ugliest Motorcycle Ever

Post by Janet »

ajscomboman wrote:
Janet wrote:Mike, that's where the photo was taken. I'd just arrived at Sparsholt so Nellie still had my camping gear on.
Can't believe it was 13 yrs ago!!!
Scary, how quickly time passes, isn't it?
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

It must have been so funny on the production line when people who had assembled MKV111 KTT's and Thruxton Venoms were suddenly faced with these. Diversification in the raw. I believe they saved the factory from extinction for many years, and maybe would have been more if they hadn't messed up the follow-up Viceroy/Valiant.
Stan
Groily

Post by Groily »

Oh whoops! Ugly? Never! It's a duckling, yes. But ducklings do have their points . . . and they can swim as well as a swan 'n all.

Fascinating design as Spriddler says:
Superb weather protection, silent, smooth as you like, water-cooled, shaft-drive, wet-sump, quite good electrics from the advent of the Miller ac systems, really reliable.
Capable of running at a good percentage of full blast all the time . . . which is just as well, as 'full blast' isn't very full!

Not the only pressed-steel frame back in the day, but with a low centre of gravity, Velo's unique approach to adjustable rear units, and a moderately decent front end (for a lightweight) they hold the road like glue until the limits of the ground clearance intrude.
Much under-appreciated! (And cheap as chips, so they have that in common with a lot of machines of our marques, which are just as good value in their different ways.)

Janet's one, with 3 speed hand-change and hand start, is quintessential. My own one, a '58 first of the 4-speeders with foot change and kickstart, is an 'improvement', arguably . . . but I preferred the 3-speeder I had a as a spotty youth nearly 50 years ago. Which cost me £1 and never broke down in 2 years after I'd 'sorted' it from a 'cellar find' (as teenagers 'sort', so not really!)

BUT very complicated and no kind of introduction to the oily smelly noisy real world of Brit motorcycling. Far more civilised than the general run of things and that lulled me into the foolish notion that reliability was a realisable option on cheapo bikes . . . soon got over that when I was stupid enough to acquire a much abused C15 when I at last had £50 available . . . I don't know how many times I wished I hadn't done that, as I waited for my old dad to come and rescue me.

No, they might look a bit odd, but the LE Velo is a VERY FINE BEAST and deserves to see its status rise. Near enough bankrupted its makers, but the Police were wise enough to see the value, and due to their support, the line continued through to the 70s. And there are still abundant spares, a very active club, and many many fans, even among those of us who like a bit more in the way of horses as a general rule.

Won't hear a word against them!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Groily wrote:Oh whoops! Ugly? Never! It's a duckling, yes. But ducklings do have their points . . . and they can swim as well as a swan 'n all.

Fascinating design as Spriddler says:
Superb weather protection, silent, smooth as you like, water-cooled, shaft-drive, wet-sump, quite good electrics from the advent of the Miller ac systems, really reliable.
Capable of running at a good percentage of full blast all the time . . . which is just as well, as 'full blast' isn't very full!

Not the only pressed-steel frame back in the day, but with a low centre of gravity, Velo's unique approach to adjustable rear units, and a moderately decent front end (for a lightweight) they hold the road like glue until the limits of the ground clearance intrude.
Much under-appreciated! (And cheap as chips, so they have that in common with a lot of machines of our marques, which are just as good value in their different ways.)

Janet's one, with 3 speed hand-change and hand start, is quintessential. My own one, a '58 first of the 4-speeders with foot change and kickstart, is an 'improvement', arguably . . . but I preferred the 3-speeder I had a as a spotty youth nearly 50 years ago. Which cost me £1 and never broke down in 2 years after I'd 'sorted' it from a 'cellar find' (as teenagers 'sort', so not really!)

BUT very complicated and no kind of introduction to the oily smelly noisy real world of Brit motorcycling. Far more civilised than the general run of things and that lulled me into the foolish notion that reliability was a realisable option on cheapo bikes . . . soon got over that when I was stupid enough to acquire a much abused C15 when I at last had £50 available . . . I don't know how many times I wished I hadn't done that, as I waited for my old dad to come and rescue me.

No, they might look a bit odd, but the LE Velo is a VERY FINE BEAST and deserves to see its status rise. Near enough bankrupted its makers, but the Police were wise enough to see the value, and due to their support, the line continued through to the 70s. And there are still abundant spares, a very active club, and many many fans, even among those of us who like a bit more in the way of horses as a general rule.

Won't hear a word against them!

I'd paid good money to see you ride along on an LE!!! You're a giant and would swallow the poor little beast!!!

PS nice to catch up with you the other day. :)
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

I have also got a Mk2 with hand start lever and 3 speed hand gear change which is an ex Warwickshire police bike, I used to ride one of these when I was in the police force where they were fondly known as "whispering willies" as they were so quiet you could sneak up on the "baddies" with only a whisper from the engine and really put the willies up them :lol:
They are also known as "noddy bikes" this comes from a practical background. All lowly "PC Plods" had to salute their officers when they saw them out on the streets, e.g. Inspectors, but it was considered dangerous to do this whilst riding a motorcycle so riders of Velocette LE's were given the dispensation to nod at their superiors instead as they went past. Hence the term :noddy bike" came into existence.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

image.jpeg
I have to confess I have owned one but never rode it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

You don't know what you missed, they are a delight to ride, very low c of g, excellent weather protection, water radiator keeps your legs warm when it is cold, 100mpg and time to watch the world go by
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

There was a reason it would never start. :lol: sold it about 15 years ago for £200.00 only to see it on eBay last month for £1,500.00 as a good runner ready to ride I did go and have a look and made a offer.
Last edited by G15 Roy on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roy
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I also have admit owning one at the age of 16, used for going to College in all weathers, great on the snow and ice as you could ride with your feet down. (Blakeys in the boots were a necessity).
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

It was once said, and someone here will know by whom that "For a motorcycle to be attractive, you should not be able to spit through the frame", or words to that effect. That puts the LE ahead of an AMC single in looks. ;)