Sticky matte black helmet

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Sticky matte black helmet

Post by poplargreg »

My three year old matte black helmet overwintered in a dry, fostproof gagage, and has developed an unpleasant sticky layer on the surface.

I did a search and found a lot on US forums with threads about this problem, not surprising as a matte black open face helment is compulsory wear for the the discerning H-D rider. They were full of posts both praising and decrying the same products with unfamiliar names like Gloop Buster available from the local Wallmart. I didn't find any credible reason suggested as a cause, though.

Has anyonone encountered (and hopefully solved) this? I'm reluctant to try different things on spec as I've become quite attached to the helmet.
Richard Mills

Re: Sticky matte black helmet

Post by Richard Mills »

Have you tried Swarfega, unlikely to do any damage?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do what you used to do when mending puncture, use French chalk. Or you could try rubbing with Talc. That should dry it, perhaps then wipe over with water damped cloth. Before anyone says, don't use Flour unless it's a Pudding basin helmet.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Rob Harknett wrote:Do what you used to do when mending puncture, use French chalk. Or you could try rubbing with Talc. That should dry it, perhaps then wipe over with water damped cloth. Before anyone says, don't use Flour unless it's a Pudding basin helmet.
Can't see that working, the surface seems to have somehow degraded and become sticky. It would turn into a white helmet - don't think water would remove it. Better black and sticky I think.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Richard Mills wrote:Have you tried Swarfega, unlikely to do any damage?
No, worth thinking about though. I'd really like to hear from someone who has encountered the problem and cured it!
clive

Post by clive »

If the surface has degraded perhaps you ought to replace it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

clive wrote:If the surface has degraded perhaps you ought to replace it.
By "degraded", I meant whatever finish was used has become tacky. This is just on the surface. It appears to be a very common occurrence (Google "matte black helmet tacky"). It seems there is no cause/remedy suggested
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

poplargreg wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Do what you used to do when mending puncture, use French chalk. Or you could try rubbing with Talc. That should dry it, perhaps then wipe over with water damped cloth. Before anyone says, don't use Flour unless it's a Pudding basin helmet.
Can't see that working, the surface seems to have somehow degraded and become sticky. It would turn into a white helmet - don't think water would remove it. Better black and sticky I think.
Worked on sticky glue repairing a puncture. Never ended up with a white tube. It will not attack and further decompose the paint. Which is what is happening. Perhaps due to moisture turning acidy. Which happens in my garage making rubber grips etc. sticky.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've found WD40 successfully removes sticky residues.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Some hard plastic trim in my car had a "soft touch" black rubbery coating which became sticky after about 10 years. I managed to remove this with thinners followed by soap and water, but I would NOT RECOMMEND this on a plastic helmet. Best to replace the helmet (and get one with a gloss surface which is safer if you have the unfortunate incidence of surfing headfirst on tar).

Rob C