Sticky matte black helmet

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
poplargreg

Re: Sticky matte black helmet

Post by poplargreg »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The meths has removed the coating and I'm left with a semi matt surface.

If you decide it's worth having a go with meths or de-natured alcohol, (which will more than likely remove the sticky surface), be prepared for a change in surface finish.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick - i'll give that a try
Tezza The Grey

Post by Tezza The Grey »

I've got an old but very clever remote control that can do the TV etc. lighting and loads more but the "grippy" rubber finish around the sides is horribly sticky.
I so need a solution to this problem.
going to try every solvent/cleaner (no acetone :o ) I have and will report back.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Thanks - that's a good idea!
cheers

Greg
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

If plastic, the helmet would probably be polycarbonate or maybe ABS (it should say on the label), a tv remote is most likely to be ABS or acrylonitrile butadene styrene - which disolves in acetone.

Rob C
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A TV remote will also allow fluids to leak inside and kill it. I used e bay and just got a new remote for the TV make and model, cost about £8. If you really want to protect a TV remote from sticky fingers. Put it in a clear bag taped at the back. You can even spill a cup of tea on it then. But then that wont work on a helmet.
bjork

Post by bjork »

I suspect it's a design feature meant to capture flies that land on the helmet for a rest. It helps to build up the street cred suggesting miles of hard riding without actually having to do it. Popular among new wave cafe racer types too. ;-)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

bjork wrote:I suspect it's a design feature meant to capture flies that land on the helmet for a rest. It helps to build up the street cred suggesting miles of hard riding without actually having to do it. Popular among new wave cafe racer types too. ;-)
Damn, why didn't I think of that? Do you think a light spray of aerosol adhesive over the front of the jacket would work? It would save all that tedious bike riding.

Malc
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

The matting might be SEBS (styrene-ethylene-butylene-styrene), which degrades in various environments leaving a sticky and stinky residue. Does your helmet smell like puke?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?