Something for the weekend Sir?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Reynard24

Something for the weekend Sir?

Post by Reynard24 »

If anyone is at a loose end on Sunday and you're within travelling distance of Kimbolton in Cambridgeshire why not pop along to the Kimbolton Fayre at Kimbolton Castle/School where the 2009 HoE Jampot was held and not a million miles from Rushden .
It's all for charity and the friendly Fenrunners will be there with a collection of desirable machines/useless scrap* (*delete as appropriate) along with around 1000 classic cars and possibly some V**c***s). Google Kimbolton Fayre 2018 for full details but there will be a well stocked real ale bar although I believe they also serve lager, various tasty comestibles and a WI tea tent with CAKE!
If you do go, do drop by and say hello - we'll even make you a brew.
56G80S

Re: Something for the weekend Sir?

Post by 56G80S »

Although down souht this weekend we'll be in Hyde Park watching Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana and Stevie Marriott.

Much as I love motorcycles, I wouldn't swap that for Kimbolton.

Hope Rob H is making it to Rushden, he's got some stories on the 1960's music scene.

Johnny B
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

How did Stevie Marriott look, he died in 1991?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Cerberus wrote:How did Stevie Marriott look, he died in 1991?
Steve did indeed die, I believe he was living at Saffron Walden Essex at the time. I recall him from the late 1950's, in Nazeing Essex, when I was in a Skiffle group with him. Sadly I cannot recall his looks, but still have vivid memories of his father. He had a goatee beard and always wore a Straw hat. It was from his home and Horticulture Nursery business, growing Tomatoes & Cucumbers, he would walk across the road from. This was to check we were behaving across the road in the packing shed of Ballards Nursery. Parents of Russ Ballard. From the ashes of that Skiffle band, The Small Faces, Argent and Humble pie came to fame. Which Steve and Russ were part of. While I continued my music interest as a mobile disco D. J. Well that's one story I'm sure have told many times.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

56G80S wrote:Although down souht this weekend we'll be in Hyde Park watching Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana and Stevie Marriott.

Much as I love motorcycles, I wouldn't swap that for Kimbolton.

Hope Rob H is making it to Rushden, he's got some stories on the 1960's music scene.

Johnny B
I did the disco music at Kimbolton 2009 Jampot Rally, still do a few gigs with the disco. Sometimes take our guitars out also. Along with my son and an old mate from one hit wonders The Naturals, 60's band. We do a few old favourites from the 60's & 70's. I had a surprize a couple of days ago when another member of band just walked in my back door. Don't often get people just walk in your house these days. He had popped over here from Canada, where he now lives with his Canadian wife. My mate thought it would give me a surprize if he just walked in first. Like he does, to save me letting me in.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Back from Hyde Park. I made the same slip when speaking with my older brother who also laughed at what I actually already knew. Who could forget Stevie M singing Tin Soldier? I just seem to have trouble saying Stevie without following with Marriott

However, Stevie Winwood was terrific! Linda, my wife, was with me at the week-end and was one of the few who could say "yes" when Stevie wondered if there was anyone there who was at his previous concert in the Park.

Carlos Santana very good and slipped in a tribute to Jimi Hendrix and Keith Richard. If Jimi was alive I'd walk from home to Hyde Park to see him. Carlos had a picture of Jimi on the back of his jacket.

Eric seemed subdued and I wonder if the heat was affecting him, he started to pull out the stops when the sun reached the horizon.

A wonderful day spent with a friendly, worldwide crowd and even better, with Linda.

Johnny B

My cousin tells me I must get Jeff Beck's latest release and that it will blow my socks off. But he's also keen on that Bonamasa bloke who I find technically excellent but lacks emotion.