Ooh; the new AJS 400 goes on show for the first time...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

Re: Ooh; the new AJS 400 goes on show for the first time...

Post by Tommy RE »

OH HO! It seems that there are a lot of people wearing rose coloured spectacles here. As has so rightly been pointed out, the demise of the British motorcycle industry was woeful lack of investment, the amazingly stupid overconfidence that rehashed machines that had changed very little from those designed before World War 2 would be bought all over the world because "British is Best!" when our European and Far Eastern companies were quite getting on innovating, investing and developing.

And as for Paul's comment about ("It does seem these days that bikes are assembled from parts from all over and bolted together and then branded as whatever when in fact it could be any bike if the badges were removed.") what about the Brough not so Superior? Exactly that. Brough never actually made any of the parts for 'his' bikes, he just cherry picked the best bits from other manufacturers and stuck his name on the tank and a very hefty price tag, so nothing new there then.

We recently had in the Jampot over two issues, a very interesting article about the Matchless that never was, another fine example of a wasted opportunity. And as for the Colliers letting another golden one slip through their hands with the Suzuki franchise? Doh!

Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove went to Norton recently to try to build a Cafe Racer from a new machine. At every turn with trying to remove this, replace that, and change the other, the team of Norton design engineers was on hand to apprise them of the fact that the machine would then have to be re submitted for compliance to Euro 4 which would be prohibitively expensive. Enfield were very reluctant to submit their Himalaya for Euro 4 compliance, they nearly didn't because of the cost.

So which would you rather drive? A Morris/Ford/Austin 8, 10 H.P. Hillman all of them with poor brakes, no seatbelts, no heater, no aircon, no wing mirrors, no radio and no ability to get up Porlock Hill or Shap Summit unaided? (Ah the good old days, two/ three days to get to Cornwall) Or your modern convenient constantly developed Euro/Japanese motorcar that is reliable, fast and comfortable?

I personally applaud Nick Brown for what he is doing. At least it has retro styling and bears an illustrious name and it is a British company that is making it happen.
Last edited by Tommy RE on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've never known anything but badge engineering. Austin/Morris Ford/Thames Standard/Triumph. Volvo/Ford AJS/Matchless. and many more.

I buy it cos I like it.

Full type approval costs a fortune but there are alternatives for low volume production. IVA and National Series.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Despite my earlier tongue in cheek post regarding this bike I have to say that I do like the look of it, I probably wouldn't buy one but not because I feel it's not a "proper" AJS. In the same way I remember looking at the Harris Matchless and liked that too but it was simply too expensive then to consider buying one.
As for Mr Ozmadman's point about it being a collection of parts – surely that is how motorcycle production started with proprietary engines being fitted in cycle frames with various types of forks, wheels etc? Mr Brough's output being the pinnacle of this approach. Plus ca change, plus la meme chose (the more things change the more they remain the same) as the Frenchies put it.
Enfield were in the unique position of producing the same design for years, RE flogged off their old, outdated design to India and basically left them to it and had it not been for the huge injection of cash and expertise from the Eicher group they would probably still be making the badly engineered, poorly finished bullets that found their way here in the 80's & 90's – I bought one and soon regretted it.
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, we all love steam locomotives for example, but would we really like to go back to filthy, smoky stations with the prospect of your clothes being covered in soot smuts and the miserable working conditions for the driver and fireman – I think not.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In his excellent book 'Whatever happened to the British motorcycle industry' Bert Hopwood (post-war engine designer for the major British motorbike brands from 1926 to 1973 working with Val Page and Edward Turner) refers to the incompetence of management, complacency and lack of investment in redesign and equipment post war.
It's also a factor that the country was bankrupt post war, materials were rationed (licences for imported steel were obtained more easily if used for exported products - hence the aluminium bodied Land Rover) and much of the manufacturing plant was knackered from being worked 24/7 for 6 wartime years.
He makes an interesting point that for some years post war engines needing repair e.g. reboring and new piston/bearings had to be returned to the factory for 'matching' with replacement parts because of the manufacturing tolerances on parts made on worn equipment which also limited their export market. On the other hand the Japanese (and German) plants had modern new equipment and the tolerances were such that standard and one-size spares (pistons, big ends...) could be fitted by dealers worldwide without any need for matching. Not that many needed to be fitted; such was the precision/quality of the original parts.
Anyway, I have no interest in riding a modern bike :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Has anyone got a sharpie so I can write Brough Superior on my lawnmower. I know it's a Suffolk Colt but that's not important right now.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Our lawnmower has a maker's plate on it - Ferrari, and it is coloured red.... should we have taken it to Hockenheim?
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

SPRIDDLER wrote:In his excellent book 'Whatever happened to the British motorcycle industry' Bert Hopwood (post-war engine designer for the major British motorbike brands from 1926 to 1973 working with Val Page and Edward Turner) refers to the incompetence of management, complacency and lack of investment in redesign and equipment post war.
So Neville, if the Colliers had re-invested all of the considerable amount of money they made from the War Department and later the MOD and used it to replace clapped out old machinery and design thoroughly modern bikes and still been making their products in Plumstead, you would'nt buy one?

Same with Lord & Lady Docker with BSA?
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cerberus wrote:Our lawnmower has a maker's plate on it - Ferrari, and it is coloured red.... should we have taken it to Hockenheim?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tommy RE wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:In his excellent book 'Whatever happened to the British motorcycle industry' Bert Hopwood (post-war engine designer for the major British motorbike brands from 1926 to 1973 working with Val Page and Edward Turner) refers to the incompetence of management, complacency and lack of investment in redesign and equipment post war.
So Neville, if the Colliers had re-invested all of the considerable amount of money they made from the War Department and later the MOD and used it to replace clapped out old machinery and design thoroughly modern bikes and still been making their products in Plumstead, you would'nt buy one?
No, Neil, I wouldn't have bought a bike that was modern at the time. I'm not and I have never been a motorcyclist at all but love the mechanical naiveté and simplicity of old things; all types and applications of engines, cars, clocks, sewing machines, lawn mowers, weaving looms, rope makers, horse drawn farming equipment; threshers, seed drills, chaff cutters, butter churns, ploughs....., and the satisfaction of keeping 'old' things working.
My biking enjoyment has always been 40% fettling, 40% adventuring sedately (around byways and mountains) preferably abroad with a tent, and 20% the actual riding - the thump of a big single, a well chosen gear, a good line through a bend, changing scenery............
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Apparently there is going to be a new BSA coming out soon too from India. I am actually quite excited about this as they may give it the Enfield treatment and that would catch my interest.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein