Ooh; the new AJS 400 goes on show for the first time...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Ozmadman

Re: Ooh; the new AJS 400 goes on show for the first time...

Post by Ozmadman »

Its still a modern bike though and had it had a Honda badge on it then it probably wouldn't have got a second look from the AJS/Matchless bunch. In my opinion it is as far away from a "proper" AJS as you can get. It does seem these days that bikes are assembled from parts from all over and bolted together and then branded as whatever when in fact it could be any bike if the badges were removed. I am not against Japanese bikes in fact I have a Yamaha RD250 which I love but the practice of what I mentioned above is not my cup of tea I am afraid. AJS/Matchless died when it left British shores. At least Royal Enfield (India) have kept to the traditional design and apart from the indicators and some electronic stuff you could be riding a proper Royal Enfield. Why couldn't AJS do the same?? It might be a nice bike as it is but whatever it is a Japanese/Chinese bike and it that is your thing then great but its not mine. Now I will get ready for the flack
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Quite. The badge would be irrelevant if I was looking for a modern bike. For me, no bike less than say 50 years old has the character, nostalgia, iconic design and basic engineering that I find so appealing (well, O.K., .........irresistible).
By reason of physical necessity I have to ride a modern bike. My names for them says it all: Firstly the Honda CBF125 (the 'Grudge Special'), then and currently the Herald 250 Classic (the 'Mutchless'). I don't ride now simply for fun or go for a wander around the byways but simply use it to join in with events.
My 'Mutchless' has a smidgeon of eye-appeal but it doesn't plonk (or need any TLC) like my old singles.
2016-05-21 Mutchless(480x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Completely agree Oz. My son rides an AJS 125 made in China. We got it him because it was a bargain and also because it is almost a copy of a Yamaha 125 (I think they're even made in the same factory). It rides great, dead reliable, economical but in reality an AJS it aint. I remember having the same feelings when about thirty years ago a rotax engine was stuck in a frame with the advert "The big M on the tank says it all". No it doesn't! And don't start me off on modern Triumphs!

It would be great if a 350 and 500 single could be produced like the Enfields. Improved electronics and even a button start, Lordy! Now that would be something I would be interested in. However until I win the Euro Millions that idea will have to stay on the back burner.

So it looks like you've got company Oz and I'll share the flack with you.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

The cost of producing a new motorbike is prohibitive , even for the likes of RE who sell 1000's of bikes worldwide
yes we would all like a new AJS or Matchless with true 60's appeal but it will never happen
technology has moved so far from the 60's that unless you have fuel injection , catalyst and meet todays emission standards and brakes that actually work you cant build and sell the bike

and of course most would not pay for a newly designed bike , preferring to remember the 60's when the bike cost £250 or a 1926 990-c.c. V-twin M.3.S for £77

Everyone has to accept that all new engines are designed and manufactured by the bike manufacturers , and their old designs all end up in Chinese bikes for learners
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

If they were that proud of what they produce why not stick their own name on it instead of this, now common, cynical marketing trick of using an old and well respected name in an attempt to gain some measure of repute?
Im with Oz and the others on this one - budge up, Oz. Room for a not so little one? :)
On the plus side, they do seem to have found a use for recycling all those nasty old MZ 125/150 petrol tanks. :shock:

PS - Im actually a fan of the MZ 250 in all but its final incarnation.

Steve
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Think I will throw my hat in the ring here, never thought I would say that Peter makes a very valid point.

Doesn't the mantra go that the British motorcycle industry declined because they didn't invest, innovate and produce new models that people wanted to buy? If the factory had survived into the 1970's and beyond what bikes do you think they would be producing now?

I think that AJS have a very good strategy start with small capacity bikes and create larger ones as brand loyalty and trust builds, isn't this how Honda and other successful manufactures started? It can only be a good thing for the marque as it will also develop a growing interest and following for the historic models much like Triumph, Royal Enfield, Moto Guzzi etc.

Of course if you really want to get stuck in the mud AJS stopped making “proper” road bikes in 1931 so is anything after this unworthy of the AJS badge too? :o
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Well said, Duncan
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Quite. The badge would be irrelevant if I was looking for a modern bike. For me, no bike less than say 50 years old has the character, nostalgia, iconic design and basic engineering that I find so appealing (well, O.K., .........irresistible).
By reason of physical necessity I have to ride a modern bike. My names for them says it all: Firstly the Honda CBF125 (the 'Grudge Special'), then and currently the Herald 250 Classic (the 'Mutchless'). I don't ride now simply for fun or go for a wander around the byways but simply use it to join in with events.
My 'Mutchless' has a smidgeon of eye-appeal but it doesn't plonk (or need any TLC) like my old singles.
2016-05-21 Mutchless(480x360).jpg
:beer:
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Completely agree Oz. My son rides an AJS 125 made in China. We got it him because it was a bargain and also because it is almost a copy of a Yamaha 125 (I think they're even made in the same factory). It rides great, dead reliable, economical but in reality an AJS it aint. I remember having the same feelings when about thirty years ago a rotax engine was stuck in a frame with the advert "The big M on the tank says it all". No it doesn't! And don't start me off on modern Triumphs!

It would be great if a 350 and 500 single could be produced like the Enfields. Improved electronics and even a button start, Lordy! Now that would be something I would be interested in. However until I win the Euro Millions that idea will have to stay on the back burner.

:beer:
Paul
1960 Model 8
bob121

Post by bob121 »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Completely agree Oz. My son rides an AJS 125 made in China. We got it him because it was a bargain and also because it is almost a copy of a Yamaha 125 (I think they're even made in the same factory). It rides great, dead reliable, economical but in reality an AJS it aint. I remember having the same feelings when about thirty years ago a rotax engine was stuck in a frame with the advert "The big M on the tank says it all". No it doesn't! And don't start me off on modern Triumphs!

What's wrong with modern triumphs? What a monumental achievement. Creating machines that go up against the world leaders. Up until around 2005 all built here. After that production started in Thailand (or Taiwan, can't remember). The foreign factories are their own. Built by themselves. Originally run by key triumph staff until the local workforce were upto scratch. All new models are still built here for the first couple of years. And they're going from strength to strength. They have one of the most interesting ranges. And all this at a time when the industry is in a constant decline (in the UK).
As a company to work with, they're dreadful, backstabbing and just brutal. Like all the others. But that's a personal thing. And as the only real successful British motorcycle manufacturer I wish them all the best.