Ooh; the new AJS 400 goes on show for the first time...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
raffles

Re: Ooh; the new AJS 400 goes on show for the first time...

Post by raffles »

Lawrence is now on his way to Australia. Could this be connected?
KeithMeadmore

Post by KeithMeadmore »

Have just returned from a day at Goodwood Festival of Speed and while there I met up with Nick Brown. The first of the new 400cc bikes arrived in UK only 4 days ago and consequently he's not yet had chance to update his web site or advise AMOC who I understand are running an article in the very next Jampot issue on the 125 scrambler version. Whereas the 125 models use a Yamaha engine, the 400cc new model uses a HONDA engine. A 4 valve single with a square cylinder. Nick tells me it is the Honda engine design from the 1970's used for the 500TT Cafe Racer of the period and/or maybe the XBR. It's manufactured in Taiwan but assembled in mainland China by their business partner. Hopefully if I have done this correctly a photo should accompany this forum article so you can see it and I had the pleasure of sitting astride of it and poking it about .... but not of course allowed to take it and test it on the track! I liked it. It will come in 2 models apparently and Nick told me what the OTR price is likely to be and a lot more detail, but best I think leave any further info or announcements to Nick himself when he thinks appropriate to do so. But I should add that I did have some discussion with him in relation to both the Brighton Burn-up in September and also the Ardingly South of England Classic bike show with the AMC 80th anniversary feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

So it IS a single then and not a twin as mooted in the Press (two years ago). Difficult to appreciate the styling/balance of the bike due to camera angle but thanks nevertheless Keith.
AJS400 Cadwell (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
KeithMeadmore

Post by KeithMeadmore »

I asked Nick about the W400 Kawasaki article and he didn't know how this came about and it was nothing to do with him. Attached is a further shot of the bike from a different angle. Difficult to get everyone out of the way as there was a lot of interest. Could be confused as its twin exhaust ported but it's is definitely per the spec a 400 single 4 valve 4 stroke OHC air cooled (plus an oil cooler), bore 85mm x 70mm, displacement 397cc, torque 3.37Nm @5,600rpm, Delphi fuel injection Euro4, 5 speed chain drive, electric start, 11L tank giving 70.6 mpg, max speed 78mph, curb weight 165 kg.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Looks nice, but the motor isn`t from the 70`s, the gb 400tt and xbr only came out about 1985, it is probably the same motor as used in the jawa 350 and the MASH 400, i look forward to seeing better photos , thanks
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Looks interesting but I'm wondering how it will ride. The fork travel looks quite short so presumably the suspension will be on the hard side and the single disc front brake looks to have a sliding caliper as did 70's Japanese bikes which were fine in the dry but about as good as we are used to on our old iron in the wet!
I'll look forward to seeing one "in the flesh" and would like to try one out to see for myself.
It's all just riding motorbikes
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Drilled discs and sintered metal pads will give you better brakes in any weather than you had in the 70's.

Rob C
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

The engine looks exactly like the Honda FT 500 that I used to own. Be OK if you can get a snorty exhaust for it. The FT was very reliable and a good Hack though a bit challenging over a long distance due to its small fuel tank capacity. Rode mine to Stuttgart in 19 1/2 hours including ferry crossing with lots of fuel stops 32 years ago. Any Idea of price yet or colour combinations?

Tommy RE
bjork

Post by bjork »

I looked over the new 400 at Goodwood too. I went to the stand and asked when the new big bike would be displayed. 'It's behind you' they replied. I'd walked straight past it having mistaken it for a 125 Cadwell. So it's clearly very compact and I think it's an attractive bike too. I didn't ask the price, I forgot to! The power output is modest at about 30 ish bhp but as it should be light that will still make it a reasonably lively machine. With so many riders now wanting lighter bikes with a few mod cons it should sell well, I think.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

O TO SEE ONE SOON AT KETTERING HQ
RIDE with CARE AND LIVE LONG
to
ENJOY YOUR MOTORING AND SCOOTERIN G
r w webb