It could have been much worse !!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
cbranni

It could have been much worse !!!

Post by cbranni »

On Monday of this week I went to see my GP and as it was a lovely morning I thought let's take a bike, so off I went only a two mile trip so was there at 8 o clock, surgery opens at 8 30 see my GP at 9.

I came out of the surgery and walked to the chemist to pick an umpteen amount of pills which keep my heart going :D I looked towards my bike and there was an old friend Andy (had his leg off end of last year bike accident 40 years ago) trying to lift my bike up !!! somebody had reversed into it and knocked it over but the driver wouldn't stop because he was late for work, but did leave his details.

I got the bike home and the broken bits were clutch lever, footrest, rear mudguard where he hit the bike, rear number plate.

Now I have repaired all the parts and the bike is fit for the road but the mudguard will wait until the winter so what do I charge the guy and this is the third time I have had a bike knocked over by a reversing car :headbang: .

Oh, the good news is........... it was a Norton 99 not an AJS or Matchless. :beer:

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Mick D

Re: It could have been much worse !!!

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd try to settle privately if the other party is amenable, charge the cost of the parts plus a reasonable hourly rate for your input.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Very annoying. But a bike parked close to the back of a car would not be seen. Even if you avoid parking right behind a car, one could still come along and park in front. Happened to me once in the 50's on holiday in Wales. I was also actually sitting on the bike, on its centre stand. o the car was pushing me back. I managed to blow my horn, shout and keep upright.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Never assume anything

I took up a complete car space and the guy parked 10 yards opposite me and as we were waiting for doors to open we exchanged few words about the bike. What do we do to protect our bikes ..............leave them in the shed?

They can't see us when we're moving or when we are parked up, car drivers look for other cars end of.

Sorry having a bad week :cry:

PS yes Mick I will do that, thanks
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

About a week after finally finishing my lightweight and all of the paintwork I went out for a short ride. I stopped at some traffic lights and a guy behind me in his car didn't stop in time and ran into me, not hard but enough to bend my nice new number plate a little and slightly crease the rear mudguard. He was quick to try to give me his mobile and clear off but I said I need his details or i would call the police to report the accident. How much will it cost to fix he said? Reckon about £50 I replied, out came his wallet paid me £50 and off he went.. I think he was not insured and just wanted to get away. I fixed it in about 30 minutes ..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed